Is it possible to add an icon group to the library?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I want to be able to submit icon groups created in several maps for later selection in new maps.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 98 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 54 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Try using the context menu:

Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 98 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Er, not sure you understood my question. I already have existing Icon Groups with mutually exclusive items. I want to add the existing groups to the library.

If I was starting from scratch, then yes I could add new folders within the library and add new items to those folders. That would be a massive pain.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 98 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Also, the new folder and items there-in wouldn't be recognised as an icon group and so not automatically tracked and tallied when using with SmartRules.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 527 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
I think the answer is to publish Marker Lists taken from existing maps, which can be applied to other maps. The Package Folders dialogue describe below will do that.
Also note that in newer versions of MindManager you can copy a marker group from one map to another. I'm not sure if that was introduced since MM14.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 527 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Yes. There are two approaches.

The exact location of ribbon buttons may have changed since MM14 though.

1. In the Library task pane, click on the Icons bar. In the upper half of the pane, right-click on the "Mindjet" folder and click "New Folder". If there is no Mindjet top level folder then choose the existing "Icons" heading instead. Then select the new folder, and in the lower half of the pane you can right-click and choose "Add Icon..." to add new icons by browsing for files. This will add more icons to the MindManager library. You can also drag *.ico files from Windows Explorer and drop them in the lower half of the Library task pane, which is quicker than browsing to them one at a time.

2. Instead of extending the MindManager library, you can add a new Package Folder, which is independent of the MindManager library and will be unaffected by upgrading to a later version of MindManager. Start by opening a map containing the custom icons that you want to be able to use in other maps. In the "Design" tab (in MM17 and later), click on "Template Organizer". You may find this button in a different ribbon tab in earlier versions of MM, but the functionality will be the same.  It doesn't matter which second level selection you then click, as they go to the same dialogue anyway. Click the "Marker Lists" tab and add a new Marker List containing icons from the current map. This will appear alongside the "Mindjet" top level packages in the Library and if it is on a shared disk, will be available to others. I use this for all custom images and icons, so that they are always available to both the desktop and laptop machines, and stay in place after upgrades.

Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 98 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Shall look into this at a later date. Have used a manual workaround for now.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 54 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 98 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hmmm... password protected.

"To view this protected post, enter the password below:"
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 54 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Installing Images into MindManager

Install the pack(s) into MindManager by extracting the zip contents to your MindManager library folder which will be located in one of the following places:
MindManager (English) : C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\17\Library\ENU
MindManager (German): C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\17\Library\GER
MindManager (French): C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\17\Library\FRE
MindManager (Russian): C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\17\Library\RUS

Photo of Patrick Baker

Patrick Baker

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
For a small fee we package customised icon and image sets for clients and businesses . This includes customised marker sets. Send  an email to  patrick@mindlogik.com and we can set up a Skype chat if this is of intestest in resolving your issue.