Is it possible to copy the tags in one topic onto another topic?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello

Is it possible to copy the Tags - if possible including any Custom Tags - from one topic onto another topic?

[I'm hoping that this isn't a stupid question...!]

Cheers

J

EDIT 01: What would be ideal would be to have a way to "paint" the tags, much like you can paint the format of a topic onto other topics, using the "Format Painter".

EDIT 02: Alternatively is there any way I can set up a user-defined hot-key to apply a Tag? I have worked out how to apply Icons using hotkeys, but not Tags. [Or are they really the same thing?? I am slightly confused!] 
Photo of J Smith

J Smith

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Paddy Boocock

Paddy Boocock

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You could do it with a macro 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

There was a discussion a few months ago on how to do this using SmartRules - https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/is-it-possible-to-add-an-entire-group-of-tags-to-a-topi....

To summarise my response then:

You can use the SmartRules feature to set up a rule which would then add a selection of tags to topics automatically.

You simply need to select a tag, icon or some other formatting feature as the trigger and then add each tag to the same rule as an effect. Once this is done all you need to do is add the "master" tag or icon to one or more topics for all the tags to be added to those topics.

However, there are a few limitations with this approach:

1. The rule would take a little bit of time to set up as each tag needs to be added as a separate effect, though if they remain unchanged this needs to be done only once.

2. If you add or edit tags in the tag group these changes will also have to be made to the rule.

3. There is no way to make the tags persist without the rule and the trigger upon which it is based. In other words, the appearance of the group of tags on topics is reliant on the triggering tag, icon etc being added to the relevant topics, and the rule being active. If the tag is removed from the index or the rule is inactive the tag group will disappear from all the topics, and of course the tag group will disappear from individual topics if the trigger is removed from them.
Photo of J Smith

J Smith

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sounds complicated....  :( 

I have now realised that you can 'paint' background colour between topics and then filter by background colour, so maybe I don't need Tags.

Also, although I can't work out how to assign keyboard short-cuts either to background colours nor to Tags  or other Elements, I did notice that you can assign keyboard short-cuts to Icons in the library.  And then I can use SmartRules to apply the background/fill colour for topics.

Rather painful to set up but it seems to work as a quick way to categorise topics so that they can then be filtered later.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Why do you need the shading - why not just filter the map by icon?

Also your original question implied that you wanted a simple way to apply groups of multiple tags to topics. Your latest response suggests that you don’t need this level of complexity and possibly that you don’t need tags at all.

If you just want a quick way to apply unique formatting to topics so they can filtered, using keyboard shortcuts to apply icons and then filtering these would seem to be the best option. If you did want to apply text tags as well you could use SmartRules to generate one or more tags for each icon as you use keyboard shortcuts to apply the icons to topics.
(Edited)
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
> Why do you need the shading - why not just filter the map by icon?
Two reasons:
1. At normal resolutions I find the Icons to be too visually distracting.  The colours tend to be too full-on for me. 
2. In practice I am now working on a very high resolution screen and my topics are made to have quite a large text font size (32!). I have gone further than I meant to but it does mean that the icons are nice and small - so small that I can barely see them.

> If you did want to apply text tags as well you could use SmartRules to generate one or more tags
> for each icon as you use keyboard shortcuts to apply the icons to topics.
Yes, good idea.

In truth I only thought that I needed to have tags so that I could filter using them. But I now see that I can filter using colour directly (just so long as I can remember what each colour actually means!) OR I can filter using the Icons that I have added (which in my case caused the background colours to be applied).

BTW, just a small point... but is there a good reason why MindManager doesn't list the actual name of each icon, rather than just say "Icon Marker" beside each one?

Cheers

J
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

Hi John,

If you want to use the icon keyboard shortcut facility but you prefer to shade the topics, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Create the set of icons then add SmartRules that will add the fill colour you want for each icon. The go to Show/Hide on the ribbon under View - Detail and untick Icons.

The icons should disappear but the shading will remain, and you can still add icons using keyboard shortcuts or by clicking on the icon in the Map Index. The shading will adjust accordingly.

The only problem with this approach is that it's an all-or-nothing thing - you can have either all the icons, or none.

On your last point I'm a bit puzzled - the icon names show up in my Map Index, so I'm not sure what's happening there.