Is it possible to get Gantt Charts to work in hours (not just days) in MindManger2019? (Or need Enterprise version?)

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello

Please excuse the basic question, but am I correct in thinking that MindManager2019 can only show Gantt Charts in whole Days and not in Hours? If so do I need to buy the Enterprise version of MindManager?

Given that I work as a sole trader, I do not want to pay for the Enterprise version.

PS What is confusing is that if I go File ==> Options ==> Add-Ins, it looks like I may already have "Gantt Pro (v19.0.288)" installed (or maybe my MM2019 is happy to list the product but is unable to run it??). 

Cheers

J

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
To answer my own question, I am now told that you need the Enterprise version of MindManager. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1618 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
The software may seem to allow you to some extra's but the license key allows you to use MMEnterprise features ( or not )
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have to say that this is a confusing way for MindManager to work - particularly given that I am able allowed to tick/un-tick Gantt Pro. But thank you for clarifying, Ary.   :) 

I also wonder how many users will the Gantt Chart in any way useful if they are constrained to working in whole numbers of days. Furthermore, it's not at all clear what the price will be to upgrade to the Enterprise version. It seems we have to go through our local resellers (but they are proving rather slow to get back to me so far...) 
(Edited)

• 1618 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Well... most software developers try to keep their products as stable as possible - just as TESLA does with the software that defines the functionality (and price) of their cars. And that is why the Enterprise functionality can be  switched on/off based on what is purchased.
(Edited)

• 1618 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
MM enterprise is available from 5 users.
The price in Europe per user is at 5-9 users € 399,00 per user plus a yearly mandatory MSA maintenance fee.

Ofcourse you can upgrade your single license. It will cost you € 49,00 plus that yearly mandatory MSA maintenance fee.

However, If you have only one license, you will have to purchase 4 extra user licenses to become an enterprise. And that seems fair to me. You are not an enterprise if you are alone.

You can arrange the upgrade via local resellers (who are able to give advice and the better one's provide training as well)

• 1618 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
The Gantt functionality in the single version is designed around the fact that single users who do projects can split tasks in hours, minutes, days or weeks, etc.
But since they are the only user, they use the Gantt view for a slightly different communication purpose than project managers in Enterprise environments. That is why the gantt view for single users is like it is.
So there is a design behind all this.
Developers and Product Designers are aware that there may be a (small) group of users that would love to have more granularity, but...
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Hi John,

I agree with Ary that the different levels of Gantt functionality between the standard and Enterprise versions of MindManager reflect the likely needs of their respective users and that it is appropriate to charge extra for the latter.

The Gantt features in the standard version are fine for most small projects - indeed, the Enterprise version of the Gantt would probably be overkill and a little intimidating for many people. And while it has many more features than the standard version it seems to lack one or two - for example, I still can't work out how to copy the project task grid as a table, something which is relatively easy to do in the standard version.

I do agree with you however that the approach to pricing is a little strange. There are some individual power users - and some who work in "enterprises" with less than five people - who manage complex projects and who would like to be able to purchase less than five Enterprise licences to access the advanced Gantt features.
(Edited)
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Sorry, no. I simply do not begin to understand the rationale of this Enterprise-only pricing.  As Alex says, many individual users, having invested their time in learning the basic system of MindManager, are very likely to want to access the more advanced MindManager features. (e.g. in this case Gantt Pro)

If not we are simply forced to abandon MindManager.

In my case, I own a copy of MindManager 2019. It is the most powerful mind mapping tool that I've seen and I love it(!).

But if I understand you correctly, in order to get to use Gantt Pro, I will need to buy another 4 licences of Mindmanager(!) at 399 euros each ==> 1596 Euros, PLUS  € 49,00

So ==> 1,645 Euros  (US$ 1,841 or £1,406) just to get Gantt Pro?

Moreover, I would argue that I am more likely to need to work at a more granular level (i.e. in Hours) when I am managing my own time as an individual rather than when I am interacting with other people. i.e. I need to plan and control my life in greater detail, whereas I only need a summary view of what other people are doing. 

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
UPDATE: I have spent several hours evaluating the competitor Gantt Chart applications. It turns out that compared the the competition, MindManager's Gantt that comes with the non-Enterprise version isn't too bad!

Single User MM2019 has the full 4 types of dependency (Finish-Start, Start-Finish, Start-Start, Finish-Finish), which it turns out that many competitor project management applications do not have. Also I hadn't appreciated that MM2019 is at least calculating in hours (minutes in fact) and it will adjust the width of the task bar on the Gantt chart to reflect the hours, rather than rounding the view to the nearest day... 

But is there any way to get the Task names to appear on the Gantt chart itself? And if not, is there any way to get the mouse-over to show the Task name a bit faster?

• 1618 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
John,  your threat

"If not we are simply forced to abandon MindManager."

does not make it easier for us/me to respond to your questions.

Fortunately you have placed an update that makes me less reluctant to try and help you in future

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 131 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
To get clear - what I meant was forced to abandon MindManager for the purpose being discussed: Gantt Charts with the features being discussed.

It is clear that the Mindjet are well aware of the limitations of standalone MM2019 for the purposes of Gantt Charts, as is evidenced by their creation of Gantt Pro.

I appreciate that it may sometimes sound like I have been borderline trolling, but what I have actually been doing has been to spend my precious time giving completely honest,sincere feedback. And in the long run, genuinely honest sincere feedback is of course exactly what any software developing company actually needs. 

I would imagine that the majority of MM users work in larger teams and corporates, but there must be a substantial minority of MM users who are self-employed/individual users but who want to use the best tools. And if they want the best mind mapping tool then they will almost certainly have bought MindManager, and if so, having invested their money (and in particular their own precious time!) in MM2019, they will no doubt be experimenting with all the other things that MM can now do.   

What is deeply frustrating about the MindJet's pricing structure is that by forcing users to buy FIVE copies of MM, in order to get Gantt Pro, that they are blithely their individual/self-employed power users.  Enough.

(Edited)