Is it possible to manage all link adresses within a mindjet DOC ?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I have a Mindmap with lots of linked Files(Docs, Pics, Tables, etc.) . Now our Serveradress (where all the files are located) will change. 

The best thing would be to edit all adressinfo for all links at once, as the sub-path is same, but the DRIVE-Adress changes from F:\ to X:\ (what has to be replaced now in all Links).

Is there a handsome way to do this at once. I mean I can see that the summary of all linked objects is collected by Map Index. 

In my understanding it should be possible to find the dataset where the links are managed, and there it might be possible to edit all string values.

Any Idea on this here within ? 
Photo of RB

RB

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1829 Posts
  • 308 Reply Likes
Maybe the easiest way is to use the brilliant Excel datamapper that comes with MM vs 2020.
You could export your file to excel,
Change in excel and import that file into MM2020 again.

As you don't have MM2020 yet, this is only one of many reasons to upgrade.
And you can always do a free 30 day trial.

Photo of RB

RB

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot. Will check with IT Departement
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1216 Posts
  • 316 Reply Likes
Are link paths stored as relative or absolute? You can check and change this setting under File, Info, Map Settings.

If the paths are stored as relative and the same folder structure is maintained on the new server, ie, everything is being copied over as it is and it's only the drive letter which changes, then the links should be maintained in the new location. If the map files are staying in one location and only the linked files are moving, or vice versa, then things get a little more complicated.

The options for dealing with these scenarios were described in more detail in a thread about eight years ago, but the same principles still hold with more recent versions:
https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/correcting_broken_links#:~:text=A%20%22relative%22%20hyperlink%20just%20specifies,location%2C%20they%20will%20still%20work.

Nick Duffill's response outlines the options in detail, while Andrew Wilcox provides an alternative approach to replace the drive letter if things go wrong.