Is there a way to add completely new flags to the default list of Flags in MM2017?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello

I don't really like the default colours of Flag in MM2017. Is there any way to change their colours and/or to add new, different Flag icons to the default list of possible Flags?

Thanks

J
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 74 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 505 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
No,but  you can add your own icons by saving .ico files to disk, creating a new Icon group and then browsing to them when adding icons. This is a popular way to get exactly the icon sets that you need. The default Flags icon group can be removed from the new map template so that you don't see it. The mandatory marker groups that cannot be deleted or use custom icons are Priority, Progress, Resources, Fill Colors and Font Colors. The others can be removed or replaced with something else.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 74 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Nick. OK I have added created a new flag .ico file and have added it.
I guess I use the 128x128 dimensions, yes? 
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 505 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
MindManager will make use of all available resolutions from 16x16 upwards. When you zoom into a map or make an image export, it will use the highest available resolution in relation to the viewed size.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 74 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have added my highest res version. How would I add the lower resolution versions? And are they important?

So far I have tried:

Map Index pane ==> Markers ==> Flags ==> (right click) New Icon ==> [select my highest resolution icon for my new flag]

But this only adds the high res version. But maybe that's good enough...?  
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 505 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
Yes, it will very likely work.The only thing you might notice is that the automatic reduction of a 128x128 icon down to 16x16 is not quite as clear as an icon that has been designed at 16x16.
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Normally all the icon variations are to be stored in one file, so MindManager (or any other program) can look up the required resolution when needed. I create icons using Paint.net and the ICO plugin: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/927-icon-cursor-and-animated-cursor-format-v37-may-2010/?page=13&a... (both are free)