Is there a way to create a property that takes the parent topic's name?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
I would like to add a topic name to all sub-topics as a property and then move those topics to another map. It's for a converted document that has named sections with many subtopics, but I'd like to remove the confusion of having that parent without manually moving the topics around, but still keep traceability. Thanks
Photo of Spencer Skelly

Spencer Skelly

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1862 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
Please include images of what you have and what you want. It helps to understand
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1259 Posts
  • 338 Reply Likes
As Ary said, some images would be helpful, but based on the information you have provided the first of your requests - assigning a topic name to sub-topics as a property - is relatively easy, but the second part, retaining these properties when moving to another map is much more problematic.

There are actually two ways of achieving the first request, Formulas and SmartRules. Formulas can be used if you want to assign just a branch number rather than a name. You can set up a branch number property on the parent topic and then for each sub-topic add a calculated property with the following formula: [Branch No.]=Parent.[Parent Branch] (or whatever you call the properties). The correct branch number should appear as the Branch No. property for every sub-topic.

If you want to use a branch name you will have to use the other option, SmartRules (this will work with numbers as well). You will need to create the Branch Name property first with the names of all the branches as property values, then create a rule in which Topic Belongs to Branch is the trigger, the condition is True and the appropriate branch is selected. When selecting the branch, tick Include only descendants in the dialogue box. A SmartRule will need to be created for each branch.

So far so good, but the problem is transferring these subtopics to another map. In both these options the topic property is conditional on the presence of a parent topic that supplies the branch name - once the topic is moved to another map the branch name property value will either be zero or false. What you need is a way to make the topic property "sticky" and I'm not sure if this is possible.
(Edited)
Photo of MARK LYNAM

MARK LYNAM

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It would be neat if that could be made sticky by invoking the use of an absolute reference symbol like $ does in Excel.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1259 Posts
  • 338 Reply Likes
I think this is a great idea, though some thought would need to be given to how and when they can be made "sticky", or "unsticky".