Is there a way to Export to Visio (even indirectly) with MindjManager 2017?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hi there,

I see that that it's been quite a while that there is no direct export to Visio from MindjManager 2017.  I'm wondering if there is an indirect export (i.e. export to some other format that can be imported into Visio?  

Or would Zapier have a solution?

If there is a solution it would be easier for me to work with MindjManager for work related projects? I can expose the company to Mindjet through the viewable HTML5 exports.Since the company doesn't yet use Mindjet they would feel better if there was an option that permitted Visio use of maps created..
Photo of Jack Rosenfield

Jack Rosenfield

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I remember responding to this question a few years ago and it's even longer since I last used Visio but I understand you can still do this very indirectly.

Visio can import from Excel, so you can use MindManager's CSV export facility to create a CSV file (the table layout option would probably be the best to choose). This can be opened in Excel to convert to an Excel format and then opened in Visio.
Photo of Jack Rosenfield

Jack Rosenfield

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks.  I think a lot is lost in the export to CSV.  In any event I exported to CSV as you recommended and imported into Excel and saved as a xlsx file. I then tried to import into Visio 2007. Alas I don't see an option for the xlsx importing.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
My first thought was that's an old version of Visio that may not recognise anything past Excel 2003 and that you should try saving the Excel file as a "Excel 97-2003 Workbook", with an xls suffix.

However I did a quick search on Excel and Visio and found this which suggests Visio 2007 can handle xlsx files after all: https://support.office.com/en-us/arti...
(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1245 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
MindManager no longer integrates with Visio. The last version that integrated with Visio was MindManager 8 for Windows but that add-in only supported Visio 2007.

The integration was done via images of flowchart symbols etc that could be placed inside a topic.
When the map was exported to visio you would get the visio result that you expected. but with all the limitations of Visio.

At some time Mindjet investigated how many times this function was used and decided not to invest anymore.

Also the flowchart and org-chart functionality that is available now in MindManager  is more flexible and powerful. And it has all the options to enrich the information with task info and so on.

Although I have done many projects with only MindManager without the need for more functionality...If your company has MS project you could export from MindManager to that MS tool.
(Edited)