Is there a way to find and replace a character with newline?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Photo of pagkly

pagkly

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 119 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
More details please.

You can search for resources in the advanced search function on the right side of the program window.

Two possibilities to replace a name in the map.
1. Rename the ressource name in the Map-Index
2. Advanced ribbon - Select - Power Select search for the name, activate all topics with the name and add the new one.

Best,
Andreas
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1270 Posts
  • 342 Reply Likes
Are you trying to find and replace a resource name as Andreas suggests, or are you trying to replace an alphabetic character with a return?

If it's the latter, are you trying to do this within a topic name, or in topic notes, and why? If you want to do this to control topic width there is command to Match Width under Layout on the Format tab of the ribbon - and there is a more direct control to do this in the MAP MindManager add-in.

Controlling the width of text in Topic Notes is a little trickier, but one option is to set up a single-cell table with the desired width and use this to enter text.
Photo of pagkly

pagkly

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes. I am wanting to do the latter.
I have a few character (mainly characters like [.?!-] that I want to replace inside the topic and subtopic with newline [\n]).
I have installed MAP add in.

If there is regular expression support I would be more than happy to use it since I know common regex syntax.
Also, I understand some basic VBA and word macro but don't know if it supports something like word macro or using vbscript.regexp since I couldn't find any documentation on macro so far.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1270 Posts
  • 342 Reply Likes
I'm not a macro writer but the following should provide some help: https://www.mindjet.com/developers/api/#Welcome.html

While it can set topic width, the MAP add-in does not have the ability to create a new line based on a character, or delimiter. However, it has a very similar feature which can be used to split a topic into multiple topics based on a character. You could contact Nigel Goult at Olympic Limited, the developers of MAP, and ask him about the possibility of developing this to insert a line return instead of splitting the topic.