Is there any way to apply a 'Saved Query' using a single click witin MM2020?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
Hello

Is there any way to apply a 'Saved Query' in MM2020 with a single click?

e.g. Can I add individual Saved Queries to the Toolbar?
Or can apply them using hotkeys.

BACKGROUND

I want to use MM2020 for task management (project management) and I want to be able to filter my tasks by their Area of Life.  I am freelance so I have various different roles and different clients.

My "Areas of Life" will look something like this:
- Client_001
- Client_002
- Client_003
- PersonalAdmin
- Health 
- Recreation

For each task also want to be able to filter by "Context". My Contexts will look something like this:
- @Office
- @Home
- @Errands
- @EveningsOnly
- @Quickies

I will have about say 100 to 200 tasks on the go at once.

Ideally I would like to be able to apply some form of RELATIVE importance (i.e. the importance of tasks compared to each other). There must be some way of flagging up the urgent tasks.  

As you can imagine, I will be wanting to change the filtering of my view literally 100s of times per day. So I am looking for a way to change the filtering (i.e. the Saved Query) at a single click. Or (better) with a keyboard shortcut.

e.g. I might want to just show my tasks for Client_002.  And then show just my task for Client_003... OR just show my PersonalAdmin tasks. 

AND/OR just show task with a context of say @Office OR @Errands...

i.e. I will be wanting to change Area of Life and change Context multiple times all day long!

J

PS I know that I asked a similar question 2 years ago but I was hoping things might have improved since then!
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 599 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Instead of using filtering, much of this can be done with Tags and the Tag View. You could set up mutually exclusive Tag groups for context, client or any other heading, and the topics will be displayed in a column for each value. The topics can be vertically sorted within the column in several ways including priority. 

If you want a second level of filtering, such as viewing by context tag and filtering on a specific client, you can change the tag view settings to show tags, then right-click on a client tag and select Quick Filter. This is probably quicker than setting up saved queries.

An advantage of the Tag View is that you can change things quickly by moving a topic from one column to another. Make sure you only use mutually exclusive tag groups, as the column views do not support multiple tags from the same group.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Nick.

[Aside: But crumbs... this is stretching my MM skills to the limit! Are there any explainer videos for this sort of thing? ]

OK, I have managed to set up a new Tag Group, and also make it 'Mutually Exclusive'.

If I click on View==> Tag, then I get a Kanban view, which allows me to drag my tasks between Doing, Done and Paused. Yes, this looks useful in it's own right, however how do I get the topics to be "displayed in a column for each value"?

Or are you suggesting that I edit the Kanban tags themselves? (i.e. "To Do", "Doing",  "Done" etc)

Does it matter what sort of Template I start with?  

EDIT:
I have finally worked out that a whole new tab called "Tag View" suddenly appears when I click on View==> Tag.  [That was not obvious!]

So now the problem is: how can I get tasks within a project to automatically inherit the Area of Life of the project?
(Edited)
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 599 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Yes, the Tag View ribbon lets you choose which Tag group to display.

There is no support for inheriting markers in MindManager, but this would have been the same when using filtering anyway. Inheritance is something that would be helpful in many situations. You will need to mark up each topic individually with all its characteristics.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1859 Posts
  • 322 Reply Likes
If only John Smith would find the time to view some of the excellent webinars on the Mindjet website - resources, on the subject ....
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Ary - I have already watched one or two, but time is short. Can you suggest any that might be particularly useful?

Hi Nick - Maybe my best option would be to create a topic hierarchy whereby the first level was my Area of Life. [Given the large number of task in my system, I don't wish to waste time attempting to navigate up and down this hierarchy in Map view 'all day long' as it were, and I am trying to do as much a possible with filtering in some form...] It occurs to me that I could then hard-code a 'Smart Rule' that uses "Topic Belongs To Branch" and then have the Effect that the Topic will be an Area of Life tag. 
i.e. A sort of brute force approach??
(Edited)
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 599 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Yes, that would work well. If you create the tag group first then you can choose a specific tag from that group for each tree.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1859 Posts
  • 322 Reply Likes
http://emea.mindjet.eu/_media2016/en/... Start with this one. It will save you many hours and help you avoid common mistakes.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Ary.
Photo of Sia

Sia, MindManager Product Design & Management

• 261 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Hi John,

We do have one click application of saved query filters and removal of filters in our modern HTML5 filter user interface. I pretty sure that you need to be able to edit at the same time so exporting to HTML5 probably isn't a solution for you but I'd love to hear your feedback on this modern interface. We are planning to eventually roll this out to the desktop application but need more support to raise it's priority in the backlog.

You can try it out by exporting your map to HTML5 and you will find all of your saved queries at the top of the filter section, just click once to apply, then click filter off to remove.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Sia - yes that is pretty cool and does work... sort of!
Obviously it doesn't let me edit the raw data (which is after all the whole point!) and the filtering seems to be working in a slightly different way... but yes that's would be pretty useful if it could be brought into the main application. 

That said, I feel in my bones that the whole filtering should be done in a different, more intuitive way. A way that let's you build up AND / OR / NOT filtering logic.... but I am at the limits of my knowledge.
Photo of Sia

Sia, MindManager Product Design & Management

• 261 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
OK good to know, thanks! Building more complex filters with AND OR NOT is something we have heard before. Can you give an example of what scenario you would use this more complex filtering logic?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 599 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Stepping back a bit... the solution could be growing bigger than the problem here :) You can reduce access to saved filters to just two clicks by adding the Show command (from the View ribbon) to the Quick Access toolbar. Then you can click on the Show Filter command whichever ribbon tab you are in, and then click on the saved query name. Because it is already in the context of showing the query results, there is no second level menu for selecting show or hide.

As saved filters are stored within the map but are not supported by the Template Organizer, it would make sense to create a template with the required filters and use that going forwards. 
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 159 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Nick - Yes, I have been using the Show command on my ribbon, and yes it does help slightly. Thanks.