Is there any way to synchronize two or more topics?

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
I'd like to sync two or more topics (on the same file) so when I make changes (update the notes, change titles, icons, add child topics, etc) those changes reflect on the linked topic and its child branches too, which is more elegant than going around your map copying and replacing sections of it every time you update it.

I am not talking about reciprocal links, those are great and have their place but not quite the same. When you work on several big trees with some overlapping/identical sections that need constant updating, it's definitely more convenient to have a full/complete map instead of going back and forth across different trees to find out what the other side of the reciprocal link looks like.

Thanks in advance!
Photo of Rual M.

Rual M.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 34 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I am afraid not. However, maybe the following workaround could be useful for you:
  • identify one of your identical subtrees as the master copy; only this one may be edited; if you work with a general dashboard map, you could add a direct link to your master copy there for easy navigation; 
  • in all other maps where you would like to see the subtree, you can add it via Advanced / Map Roll-up; you can have them updated automatically on opening the map.
Does this help?
Photo of Rual M.

Rual M.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much Pieter! Map roll-up is really close to what I was looking for (only one refresh away : ) As Nick pointed out below, it can be used within the same map. Fantastic solution!
Photo of MC

MC

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Try the addin MultiMap, at: www.palmaross.com
Photo of Rual M.

Rual M.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks MC! The add-in does precisely what I hoped to do. However as several other have suggested, roll-ups will also do the job just fine and since it's native and free I'll go with that : )
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1885 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
You could use roll-up maps if the original topic is in a submap.
Photo of Rual M.

Rual M.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Ary! I am glad I finally asked about this, I think I've found a great solution with the roll-up maps : )
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 605 Posts
  • 248 Reply Likes
As far as I can tell, Map Roll-up also works within the same map and does not have to be a sub-map. You just have to navigate to the current map again.

This issue is one of several classic challenges for hierarchical trees. Ideally, everything in a tree should be mutually exclusive, because a topic cannot belong to more than one parent. But this is very difficult to do from the beginning because general headings are a natural and speedy way to work. Restructuring an established map to make everything mutually exclusive later on can be a very unattractive task.

Another approach is to use map markers rather than native topic data for information that is valid across multiple topics. Or, if you like complex solutions, use Formulas to dynamically reproduce information from one topic on another.
(Edited)
Photo of Rual M.

Rual M.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Fantastic answer Nick. I think I'd love to experiment with the formulas solution but I'll leave that for later. I did a few tests with the roll-up maps used within the same file as it's so simple and seems like it will be a great addition to the way I organize my maps. All the best, and thanks for your help!
Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 34 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Interesting, Nick. To prevent a mind map from becoming too complicated, I occasionally go through it with a "comb". My comb is the rule of thumb that you should limit the number of branches at each level to a maximum of 7. Seven is still manageable, eight is too many. If I apply this rule now and then, I keep my mind map organized.

But even in this approach, a mind map remains a hierarchical structure: we organize our objects in one hierarchical division (while other layouts are also conceivable). Great that we can create icon groups and tag groups, and great that Mindmanager enables icon views and tag views (now also in HTML5), but they are lists, not trees. You cannot switch between two hierarchical layouts within a mind map.

Especially now that we can dress our objects better and better with extra information such as icons, tags, properties, I would (in a number of situations) I could switch from one hierarchy to the other. E.g. world-continent-country, history-year-month, category-sub-category-sub-sub-category).

Mindmanager could become a real "drag queen" if we can not only place tags in groups but can also group tag groups again etc. Via an extra view, transformer or export you could then render a new map with a different hierachical format but the same basic information.

What do you think of that?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 603 Posts
  • 248 Reply Likes
Hello Pieter
I agree. I have often wanted the markers themselves to be their own tree, and to have notes, links and other metadata. I think to do your transformation, MindManager would also need to implement inheritance of markers. This has always been challenging as there is no way to distinguish between assigned and inherited markers.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Rollups within the same map are great, but there are some limitations. First, any markers or icons will be double-counted in the Map Index, and SmartRules will apply both to any original and rolled up topics that meet the relevant criteria. Depending on how they are written, formulas could also end up double-counting the original and rolled-up topics.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 605 Posts
  • 248 Reply Likes
Good point Alex