Limitation on dates before 1970

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged

Hi there,

I'm managing a large information mapping exercise that contains information from the 1940's to today. I'm using MM to classify the authorities, and accountabilities, while a gantt chart works really well for the temporal aspects.

It appeaser that the date picker in MM is restricted from going past 2 January 1970. Is there any workaround possible??

Thanks

Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
I was also stumped by this some time ago.

If you want to do a time line of your life it gets difficult if you were born in the 50s.

I am not aware of any workaround. I think the software needs to be downdated. :)
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 515 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, not just the picker but manual date entry as well. This seems to be a hard-coded limitation.
Photo of Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

• 348 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I also found this recently when I was trying to create a family tree in MindManager 2016 with the new Flowchart layout using the Task Start and Due Dates as Birth and Death dates....
Regards

Nigel

MAP 2.0 is now available - New user interface and 38 additional functions help you become a MindManager Power User FAST! Now with extended license plans for Enterprise and Education - Learn more at www.mapformindmanager.com
Photo of emonterog

emonterog

• 83 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
How difficult is for the developers to change this? Do they interact in these forums to get their input?
Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I certainly hope so as it is a real limitation in my area of work as being able to produce a multi-themed diagram over a timeline if really extremely useful. and much easier in MM than in MS Project ;-)

I should also add that I've been using the product now for many years and found it to be fabulous, however simple limitations like this are a tad annoying.

if anyone from product management is here comments would be appreciated.

Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Also, many thanks to the comments posted from everyone - very much appreciated.

I'll see if I can spin some kind of work around... but I'm not hopeful.

Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Perhaps if others "Me too" this, then it might get some traction, and I've also sent an email to Product support linking in this post... here's hoping.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
I started using this about ten years for just this reason: Needs an update.

http://timeglider.com/timeline/line_2...
Photo of emonterog

emonterog

• 83 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This looks very nice. is this the free version or paid one?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 515 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
The origins of this may be because the code is handling the date as a Unix Epoch value, which is the number of seconds since 1st January 1970. If not then this is just a coincidence. Either way, the limitation is also applied when the date is written through the API so there is no shortcut behind the user interface. The same constraint seems to apply to date fields in topic properties too. The date value is not stored as a Unix Epoch value in the XML, but this would be a hack too far to get at it this way. But it means it might be possible to fix it in the software without affecting compatibility of older maps.

• 348 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
@Nick

The date also reverts back to 1970 even if you do change it directly in the XML... :-(#

Regards
Nigel

MAP 2.0 is now available - New user interface and 38 additional functions help you become a MindManager Power User FAST! Now with extended license plans for Enterprise and Education - Learn more at www.mapformindmanager.com
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 374 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Hi everyone, 

MindManager uses CTime for all areas in the application that accept Date/Time values and the earliest date cannot be set prior to January 2nd, 1970. We chose to use CTime in order to support our integration with Microsoft Project, Mindjet Tasks, etc.

There are currently no workarounds to set a date prior to January, 2nd, 1970.  If a Gantt Chart is not needed, you may considering adding the dates manually to Topic Properties if you just need the visuals in the Map.

Best, 
-Marian 
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
That's a pity. Tried in MS Project. It lulls you into a false sense of success but it actually wraps you around from 2/1/1970 to 1/1/2070 and backwards from there if you drag a task across the boundary.

• 348 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
You need a DeLorean DMC-12 and Marty McFly..... :-)
Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Yup - I tried it in Project too today... :-( it's such a shame as the information I'm scanning actually goes back over 100 years!

We're really trying to use MM to do thematic filtering and render a timeline on the same screen.

Here's hoping.

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
How is this question "not a problem" when it is a problem for users, as clearly stated in this thread?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 374 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Oops, meant to choose 'Acknowledged'. 

Good catch Andrew.
Photo of btg_1967

btg_1967

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi there everyone, all great suggestions, and I'll have to look into timeglider as well - it looks terrific.

Official statement from MJ - case number 00372316:

"Currently that is the limit to the dates on MindManager. You will only be able to set the date to January 2, 1970. 

I can send this as a feature request to our product management team so they can take this into consideration for future releases."

I'll be requesting this change. It's just a shame that I can't use the tool in the way I need to as the audience for this map would have been extremely influential for a <very> large project. We were planning to use MM as a thematic filter for the time based information - effectively using MM to slice data in over three dimensions, not just the normal two in tabular form!

I've been using MM for years now (since around 2000), so it's a shame I wasn't able to showcase it's brilliance on historic data.

May be into the future!

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
I've been thinking about work-arounds for this. There doesn't appear to be anything you can do in relation to using task start and due dates for pre-1970 dates and therefore there isn't a way to set up a Gantt chart as a timeline, but if you just want a way to record and display dates with topics there are a couple of options. Which approach you use depends a bit on whether you want to show complete dates or use years only:

1. Use topic properties to record dates. If you want to show years only create a topic property and format it as a number; if you want to show the full date format the property as text.

2. Use text tags. This method works best if you just want to use years only. If you want a quick way to create a large range of years and you have MAP along with a copy of Excel you are in luck. Use the Excel drag feature to create the range of dates in Excel, copy this to a floating topic in MM and use MAP's subtopic to tags option.

The only problem is that if you want two or three date ranges, for example year of birth, year married and year of death you can't simply use identical date ranges for separate tag groups. You will need to add something like a dash or asterisk to each set of date tags to distinguish them from each other, or you can do this and combine them in a single group (if you do this, remember to ensure that the Mutually Exclusive option is unchecked). It should be possible to filter on the basis of the tags, for example to find all the people born in 1950.