Link target - Traceability

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello Mindjet users,
can you help regarding the following challenge?
I want to link from one topic in a map to another topic in a second map.
Is there a possibility to trace this link target back to the starting point?
Is there any automated process/functionality, that e.g. marks the link target and shows to which starting point it is related? 

Thanks in advance and best greetings,
Katharina
Photo of Katharina B.

Katharina B.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
I'm not sure whether you can do this with MM14. With MM2019 you can manually establish a link from a topic in one map to a topic in another, and then follow the same process to link from the second topic back to the first.

You can also use the Map Rollup feature to do something similar to establish a more dynamic link, though there can be issues with linking back from the "parent" map to the topic in the rolled-up map. Using either method if you hover over the link icon you get a message telling you the location of the linked topic.

I'm not sure if you can automate this, though it may be possible to create a macro to do this.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 528 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
I have a macro for MM18 / 19 that will cross-link selected topics within a map or across multi maps that I would be happy to provide. it does not do any more than can be done by hand though. This topic was also discussed in another thread a while ago.
Photo of Katharina B.

Katharina B.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot for your replies and help.

@ Alex: Yes, to establish a link in both directions works manually for MM14.
Unfortunately, it seems that with MM14 the map rollup feature is not available, so I cannot test this functionality.

@Nick: Maybe your Macro works for MM14 as well?
It would be great if you could share it. 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Nick's comment reminded me that as well as the recent discussion, this topic has been brought up several times before. I found a thread on it specifically relating to MindManager 14: https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/maintain_relationships_across_linked_maps

Michael Deutch posted an approach which isn't automatic but is probably the simplest, which I've summarised below:

1. Select the topic in the source map, right click to open its context menu and select the option, "Copy as Link" - or use the use the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + C to do the same thing.

2. Switch to the destination map and paste the topic using Ctrl V. The topic should appear along with a link back to the source map.

3. Copy this topic as a link using either approach in step 1 above, and switch back to the source map.

4. Highlight the source topic and right click to open the context menu, then select Add Link to open the Add Link dialogue box - or use Ctrl K to do this.

5. Click on the Link Target field and use Ctrl V to paste the link. A link icon should appear to the topic in the destination map. You should be able to use this and its counterpart in the destination map to move between the topics.
Photo of Katharina B.

Katharina B.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the summary. This could be an alternative in case the marco does not operate.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 528 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
Hello Katharina

I published the macro at:

https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/1wTbB6wvijSqTCnurUgGbB17n7ECotx1Z3CMm4Wp

Please let me know how you get on.
Photo of Katharina B.

Katharina B.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot for sharing, Nick!
I will let you know how I get on.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Hi Nick

That's a very useful macro - thanks for sharing.

Two very minor issues:

- In the second point under Installing the macro in the instruction map you should probably add "Open MindManager, then go to Advanced..."

- It might also be worth pointing out that the last topic selected in all open maps will be linked when multimap mode is used, and they all have to be saved before the macro will work. So, if you want to link topics in, say, only two maps, you have to close all other maps otherwise links will be added to them too. 
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 528 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex. I will update the map. Some of the points are mentioned in the topic notes. The commands that are shown indicate how many topics and how many maps will be linked, so if you use multi-map mode with other maps open (when you do not intend to make links to them), then you can either close them or deselect topics by clicking in the background.
Photo of Katharina B.

Katharina B.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Nick,
finally, I managed to test your macro. It works very well and is very useful - thanks a lot again for sharing!

Best regards,
Katharina