Linking documents (files) to topics/sub-topics in MindManager 2020

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I am using MindManager 2020 (on Windows 10) and I would like to create a Mind Map related to my most important documents (files) on my PC.

I know how to insert a link inside a topic or sub-topic. But for my current task, it becomes tedious to use the "Insert link" method and then navigate to the folder and find out the specific file to create the link.

It would have been great if I could right click my file and locate "MindManager" in  the "Send To" list. Is that an additional configuration on Windows or is the feature not available in MindManager?
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1803 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
There is a map part in the task pane available called File Explorer That is the fastest way to get what you want.
You can also find it in the Insert tab
And you can use the keyboard shortcut ctrl+Shift+N

Photo of BlueSky Opertunity

BlueSky Opertunity

• 6 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
You can drag-and-drop files into the topic without using "insert link". Or you can use map parts "file Explorer/files and folders/or files or /folders"
I personally use drag-and-drop files into a topic find it much easier and quicker
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, guys! That was very helpful.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 56 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It's even easier. Drag and drop the files out folder you want to link
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
The problem with the File Explorer Map Parts is that they don't provide a search facility. As an alternative you can use Windows file explorer searches and drag files into MindManager. I recently wrote an article on how to incorporate and save file explorer searches within MindManager, with the results showing in the browser window (or in an external browser if you wish): https://sociamind.com/2020/05/25/search-all-files-in-mindmanager-with-a-little-help-from-windows/ 

You can then drag the list of files meeting the search criteria from the browser into the map, either individually or in groups, with the option to link or attach the files. This approach is particularly useful if you have several criteria that you need to do repeat searches for over time, for example, if you are constantly researching and downloading new documents that you need to add to a map.
(Edited)