looking for idiot-proof training

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Can your team create by the size chunks Of the different aspects of mind manager?

A beautiful application, But with this tool, you have to realize you have many different people using this tool on so many different levels.

Due to an injury, I'm not into watching an hour seminar or webinar on how to use the tool. My attention span is limited. I will like classes on bite-size information, For instance, the formulas. You updated the recipes in 2020, and you want to increase your subscription rate, but your educational model sucks.

I want to learn how to use the tool. Not everybody has a rocket science degree. or a Ph.D. in mathematics and project management. 

I believe I have renewed my subscription two the tool for the last several years; I use the basic functionality. Now I would like to dive deeper into how to use the program for project management and things of that nature. Please take a page out of Udemy and other learning management systems on how to create courses to educate their constituents on how to use the product.

I would like to have straight to the point formula's index, and then I can click on it. Just like a book and go straight to the project or problem that I am having and that I would like to address and go to work. 

Please make this simpler. I love mind manager, but if you work to expand in the customer user base, you need to provide dummy-proof training for those that don't quite get it. 

I like this to be my planning tool to replace all these other tools that I have, but your training needs to be idiot-proof and straight to the point.

Photo of Winston D

Winston D

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Winston,

I started using mindmanager in the past millennium, and I am still using it on a daily base AND finding always new ways of using it or options I never used. In 2004 I bought the "Mindmanager for Dummies" book for nostalgic reasons and now, 2020, I found a chapter there that realy clarifies a certain topic to me.

To summarize: 1 never give up, 2 impossible to accomodate everybody with all kinds of learning needs, 3 feel free to ask for help from volunteers here.

To make it more concrete:
  • Try the new Learning section in the File menu with interactive guides in 8 topics, one of them being project management
  • Explore the Resources page on the mindmanager website, eg webinars on working with formulas, projectmanagement; https://mindmanager.com/en/resources/webinars 
  • Download the free 469 pages Mindmanager 2020 user guide
Does this help?
(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1863 Posts
  • 330 Reply Likes
In what country are you based?
There are excellent books on how to use MindManager in Dutch and German.
There are excellent trainers in many countries and they offer also inhouse classes
There are several online courses in various languages.
As Pieter tells us: In MM 2020 you find a learning section to get started.

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 119 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi Winston,

I do MindManager Trainings in every level you can think of. Even idiot proofed
Photo of Sia

Sia, MindManager Product Design & Management

• 264 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Hi Winston,

I would be interested in your feedback on the new tutorials found in version 20.1 or later. We are planning to add more tutorials for advanced topics like SmartRules and formulas, would this format work for you?

Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 37 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Winston

I agree that the power and depth of MindManager can sometimes be daunting. Some suggestions and info:
  • We do have a YouTube channel that has some shorter videos that may interest you. For now it can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/mindjet/videos. I promise that not all of them are an hour long.
  • We also have interactive tutorials which can be found in the in-product learning area of the MM Windows product. Go to the menu and then to the learning section. I see that Sia has already suggested this above.
  • We will soon be releasing a continuous series of 60 second instructional videos called "MindManager Minutes". These will be short videos that provide instruction, tips and tricks regarding our capabilities. I am personally very excited about this initiative and should help people become better versed quicker.
Any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks for being a loyal MindManager user.

Cheers... Blair
(Edited)
Photo of grant nelson

grant nelson

• 13 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I think the 60 second instructional videos is a great initiative!  Really looking forward to this... maybe as a daily? ;-)
Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 32 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Grant. I would love to do it daily. There is so much to cover. Unfortunately it will depend on our ability to find extra time to work on them. I think 2-3 a week may be more realistic. It is a priority of mine though - so we will see.

Cheers... Blair
Photo of Winston D

Winston D

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Yes I just received some training through the email for Mindjet the reason why I've got version 2020 is that it has faster ways on how to create formulas and do things. please update your training To the current version of Mindjet.

right now I'm located in Brazil but I am an English speaking and do not speak Portuguese or any other language so if you have some resources books but I can learn from or bite-size chunks of information so I can utilize Mindjet my manager more efficiently.

yes, I have been to the youtube channel. please refer to my first post.

the base training in the app itself was very helpful. but I think that that you should have bite-size info on each and every function for each tab and all that is in that section of the tabs. the videos are old and outdated. some of the functions are not located in the tab that the videos are referring to.

no simple case studies on how to use the app. watch, follow, do it with the instructor.

outdated old techniques to an up to date new product that the developers expect the users to renew and update to the latest version but the instruction is based on an earlier version that might be 2016.

I am just saying. It reflects on just how much you value new and old users.

(Edited)
Photo of Pieter van der Hijden

Pieter van der Hijden

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Winston, I hope you value old users too :) !

As MM seems to be planning to produce a tsunami of video instructions, I also want to add something to the wishlist:

• Before you record a video, please prepare a structured text (headings, body, a few pictures); use this text as the base for your video (there are even solutions to generate such videos automatically).
  • why? for many people time-based media (like video) are terrible. if you are not a native speaker and/or have some hearing problems, you need a lower speed to understand; if you are an experienced user, the video explanation goes too slow and you need a higher speed to stay happy; if you are both you will understand why videos are a terrible medium.
  • Of course there are options to get a (automatic) transcript of a video; that is terrible as well; it is just a flat text which is unaware of headings and subheadings;
  • therefore: videos and audios are great for some people, but certainly not for all; so do not leave us behind and don forget to produce a structured text as well. And BTW it is far more easy to keep a structured text up-to-date with newer versions than a video.

all the best 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1263 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
Pieter, I agree with your suggestions and would like to add the following:

1. Where possible, versions of the maps and/or templates used in the videos should be made available as example files.

2. Your proposal for a structured text outlining the basis for each video should also be presented as a mind map itself.

3. The 60-second instructional videos are a great idea but some things will need a little longer to explain. I quite like the idea of either short and long videos on the same topic (of which there are already one or two examples on the YouTube channel) or alternatively dividing a topic into specific parts or episodes.

4. The videos currently offered on the MM YouTube channel need to be organised a bit better and an index (dare I say a map) should be available on the MM website (something like the map of articles I have on my site relating to MM topics).

5. Point 4 will be a lot more important if a whole lot of short videos are added. These will also need to be differentiated into basic, intermediate and advanced tips, or something similar.

6. Finally, contributors to this group could be asked to suggest topics for MM videos and also to be involved if they wish in their production in some way.
(Edited)
Photo of grant nelson

grant nelson

• 13 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I love everybody's  good ideas on the ideal 1 minute training, but lets not bog down this great initiative by adding many times the effort needed to make the first videos - I would rather they get going with the limited time they have with the basics and work from there toward all these good additions - I fully agree that what has been suggested would be good for us users but  also in the long term for the future business of Mindjet.
Photo of Winston D

Winston D

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

The point of one-minute tutorials. Instead of creating an hour-long webinar or a 45-minute webinar.

Each section that is covered can be easily changed to whatever ribbon section when the program is updated.

The other is to get straight to the point of the function. Suppose you need to explain a case study. Each part can be used in a systematic reference point via the order of the demonstration.

A part can be updated to the new faster way of doing things. Then they can be used in simple demonstrations. K.I.S.S.

Remember, the more intelligent you are. It would help if you dumbed things down for us mear mortals.