loosing formating outlook message when imported to MM v14. Was OK in MM v2012 :(

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Hi,

I am used to import in MM the meeting minutes written and sent by email (Outlook)
When using MM v 2012, after importing the message I can see it with all the formatting.

When doing the same in MM v14, or using the new drag/drop capability, I am loosing the mail message formatting.

Is it a known issue ?
Is there a specific setting to restore this capability ?

For me this is a no-go for a migration to MM v14 (I am currently testing the trial version)

thanks for your help,
Michel.
Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

It seems to be working OK for me.

What I get is the message subject as the topic, the email message as plain text in the topic notes and an envelope icon.

Left clicking on the envelope icon should result in a number of menu items, including an option to open the email as a Microsoft Outlook item. Selecting this should open the email with full formatting.

One thing that has disappeared however (I think somewhere between versions 9 and 10) is the ability to create a topic as an email or (more usefully) a contact in MindManager and send that to Outlook. Now you can send topics only as tasks or appointments. This wasn't a big deal but it was useful.

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
You can create an email hyperlink on a topic with an addressee and a subject. Click and it creates an email. Not quite like the insert and create an Outlook email object.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew,

Thanks - that's a neat trick. 

I've played around with this a little. If you want to you can create an email hyperlink without any subject and just a few letters in the addressee field instead of a valid email address - say "xxx", the hyperlink can still be saved, effectively giving you a default blank email form.

You can then save a blank topic with this generic email hyperlink (with or without subject) as a map part, which is probably as close to the old Outlook email object as you can get. The downside is that when you create an email from this and send it, the original generic hyperlink is retained on the map - the completed email won't be saved there (you can save the addressee and subject if you edit the hyperlink before creating the email).

Whether saving a generic email link like this is more convenient than just clicking on Outlook is a moot point, but the facility is there. What is probably slightly more useful is the ability to save an email without specific addressees but with the subject field filled in.

Alternatively you could save a topic as a map part with an email hyperlink with a preset group of addressees (though there doesn't appear to be a way to save them as a CC or BCC), with or without a subject. Interestingly while you don't appear to be able to create multiple email hyperlinks on the same topic, you can create them individually and copy them to a single topic.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a workaround to create an Outlook contact object, which I miss more than the email object.

Anyway, enough work-avoiding!

Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex.

I am getting the same behavior. However, with version 2012 and before, we did not see plain text in the topic note, but fully formatted text.

Having plain text is what I am complaining about.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,

Sorry - it's a while since I did this with MM 2012 so I have forgotten how it behaved.

One question - do you need to save the email in the map as an email? If not, one alternative is to create a topic with the same subject as the email and then copy the text from the body of the email with the meeting minutes to the topic notes. This seems to retain the formatting.

If you do need to send or resend the minutes from the map you could create an email in Outlook (or from within MindManager - see Andrew's suggestion and my response above) and copy the formatted text back from the map to the email. I know this may be a bit cumbersome but it might be worth exploring.

Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,

Thanks for you trying to suggest some work around. There is a pretty nice capability in MM which consists in selecting a element in MM, going to Outlook, selecting a mail and clicking on the icon to have this mail referenced (and somewhat imported) in MM.
There are certainly many other ways of linking / importing this email in MM but this one click icon is where the benefit is.

If I cannot use this because this loss of text formatting, then I'd better stay with version 2012.

Except the tools starts much faster in v14, I have not seen, so far, any compelling  reason to go for a costly upgrade to 2014.