mfc120u.dll issue

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
I am trialling Mindjet with a view to switching from another product. The first trial on a windows 10 laptop is proceeding excellently. The second trial on a windows 10 desktop fails. Mindjet will not open even after re-installation. The error message is 'The program can't start because mfc120u.dll is missing from your computer'. Running sfc / scannow reveals no problems. Kind of a show-stopper so advice welcomed.
Photo of Andrew Waddell

Andrew Waddell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 364 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew, 

This error means you do not have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 installed on your system. Please go to this site to download - 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

If you continue to receive errors, please open a case with Customer Support at http://www.mindjet.com/contactus 
Photo of Lars-Erik Mickos

Lars-Erik Mickos

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Shouldn't such libraries be included in the install? Sounds like a packaging bug to me!

That's probably how the other machine got the dll during an installation of another product where it was properly bundled. But if it is not part of MM installation, MM will stop to work when the other product is uninstalled. Windows cannot know that it is used by MM as well, if not part of the setup.
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 364 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
HI Lars-Erik, 

We do package all of the required components in the MindManager executable but sometimes these components fail to install due to the users permissions on the system. Running the MindManager installer as an Admin or installing the required components separately are the best solutions. 
Photo of CABC

CABC

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
same issue.... It needs the x86 edition of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 installed
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1227 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
And after you installed that visual c++ everything was ok... ofcourse
(Edited)
Photo of Troy Simpson

Troy Simpson

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had a long look at this. My solution was the x64 edition of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013. Reinstalling the x86 version made no difference, after installing the x64 edition the problem went away.
Photo of Jack Butler

Jack Butler

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Rediculous. Any well programmed installer should prompt for missing prerequisits.
Photo of Nagaraja Gundappa

Nagaraja Gundappa

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Absolutely. Mindjet cannot give excuses and have to fix this installer bug.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1217 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
When I install MindManager on any machine I always click on NEXT, NEXT etc until I am done and never had this issue since MindManager 2002 and all subsequent updates nor  upgrades.
Photo of Troy Simpson

Troy Simpson

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That may be so, I too have been installing it for years without any problem until recently, but it does not help to resolve the problem at hand.  I have posted a possible solution above, and that is something which should be easy to test.