Microsoft project export MM2019

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Hi All,
I am a freelance engineer and purchased mindmanger because it seems to be a better way of developing and managing projects. Which I still think it is especially when compared to MSP.
Schedule development is something I do as part of the engineering work but then hand off to the clients Project Manager to control. 

However my clients are still sold on MSP or Primevera so the project work I produce needs to be exportable/importable in to MSP.

As I understand it
MM used to do it but doesn't now
MM can only export now to MSP if I have MSP installed (I don't own it)
If I export a csv then I get the tasks and resources but not the links
Enterprise might do it but I don't know (noting I thought I was buying enterprise due to the big buy it now button the page :-( less than impressed by that web design)

Can anyone give me some advice on how to provide my clients with a compatible MSP file type, is there an add-on I can buy, or have I just brought the wrong software 

Thanks for you help
Photo of Ian Hobson

Ian Hobson

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • grumpy and frustrated

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1409 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Have you tried to export to OPML from MindManager and Import that in MSProject?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPML

MSP should be able to import xml and OPML provides XML

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1409 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Or try this.....

I have not tried this with MM2019, but for an earlier release we just download a trial version of Microsoft Project. Once the trial expired we were still able to export to MSProject format.
Photo of John Weaver

John Weaver

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ian,  I completely agree MM is a better framework to develop programs from scratch than MS Project.  I have used both for many years. I have been stuck with companies that don;t use MM but when the staff sees it power the love it (old stodgy IT departments, too much work to certify another product I guess). If your clients are only using MSP then I suggest you ask them if they will provide you a license as part of your engagement or, belly up to the bar and buy the standard edition.  There are sites that offer earlier versions (that meet the need) for around $169.00 (the one I found, SoftwareKeep.com, https://softwarekeep.com/office-apps/project/). As a consultant I believe you need to see how your work is used in the client's context. John
Photo of Ian Hobson

Ian Hobson

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes just really annoying when what seems like an obvious feature isn't there and I don't like buying software I'm not going to use.
In the long run the cost not significant just irritating
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 918 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
If a CSV file containing links is sufficient then you should have a link at MaptoExcel from ActivityOwner - http://www.activityowner.com/products/map2excel/ 

This add-in can generate an Excel file which contains hyperlinks to web-hosted or local files (only the former show up as separate links, though the latter are linked to the topic name in the exported file). It also contains resources, start and due dates, etc.