Mindjet 2017 crashing repeatedly

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
Mindjet 2017 for windows crashes, a lot in Windows 10.  Sometimes it will crash every 1-3 minutes, sometimes I can go hours or days without crashing. When I repeat what caused the last crash, I am not able to duplicate the crash consistently - sometimes that repeat causes crashes, sometimes it doesn't.  The crashes seem random.   Lots of things seem to trigger crasxhes e.g.

Inserting a new topic will sometimes cause it to crash.
When inserting a new topic works, trying to type in the text for it causes a crash. 
Using the "move topics to new map" (from GyroQ?) will sometimes cause it to crash.
Sometimes just trying to open a map causes a crash.
Sometimes clicking and dragging topics causes a crash.
Sometimes tagging or untagging topics causes a crash.
Sometimes trying to save a map causes a crash.
Sometimes trying to close a map causes a

MindManager 32 bit version 17.2.208, Windows 10 pro 64 bit version 1511 build 10586.873, 16gb memory.

I love MindManager BUT this fragile buggy behavior is NOT instilling confidence! 

Are you experiencing this issue?  What workarounds or fixes have you found?
Photo of Rick Sharon

Rick Sharon

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1354 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Try to keep your Mindmanager version on 64 bits just as your other software and OS. They should be ghe same. Normally mindmanager recognizes which bit versions you have and installs correct. If not I suggest to do a repair or reinstall.
Photo of Rick Sharon

Rick Sharon

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
MindManager installed 32 bit because I'm using 32 bit Office 365.

MS Office 365 installed 32 bit by default even though Windows is 64 bit.  Microsoft recommends 32 bit office, even on 64 bit systems, due to some 3rd party add-ins not being compatible with 64 bit (I've yet to find a list of the incompatible apps). 

So, I appear to be in a quandry:
A. Do I break Office 365 to get MindManager compatibility?
B. or Do I keep Office 365 compatibility and tolerate MindManager crashing frequently?

Not an easy choice.  Would be a much easier choice if I could find a list of 3rd party apps for Office that are 32 bit only, to assess whether I'd be impacted.

Interesting that I'd been using MindManager 32 bit for 8-10 years with 64 bit Windows, various incarnations, and it's only version 2017 that has so many problems.
Photo of Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

• 348 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
The MindManager install should match the Office install. So if you have a 64 bit version of office then MindManager should install the 64 bit version.

If you have a 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit OS you should install the 32 bit version of MindManager.

If you have a 64 bit OS and are not using Office then you should install the 32 bit version of MindManager.

The MindManager installer will try and work out which version to install based on the Office installation. If you wish to over ride this for any reason you will need to contact Mindjet for a dedicated installer for the bit version you require.

Aside from the compatibility with MS Office, the 64 bit version of MindManager offers no improvement over the 32 bit version whatsoever. It is only for MS Office connections to Outlook, Word, Excel etc.

On a 64 Bit OS, Microsoft recommend installing 32 bit versions of software unless there is a specific reason not to. Unless an application has been developed to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture there is no gain over the 32 bit versions.

Hope this helps.

Nigel
Olympic Limited
More about Olympic MindManager Add-ins
Contact Nigel
Photo of Rick Sharon

Rick Sharon

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you Nigel.  That confirms what I've been finding via Google searches and is exactly the situation I am in. 

Per Microsoft's recommendation, I am using 32 bit Office despite having a 64 bit Windows. 

MindManager's install correctly identified 32 bit office therefore, as designed, installed 32 bit MindManager. 

I assert that I am using precisely what I should be using, and it crashes a lot.  The most unstable version of MindManager I've ever experienced and I've been using MindMamager for a long long time.
Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 116 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Rick,

I have created a case for you and will reach out to you shortly. 

David 
MIndjet Customer Support
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes

Hi David,

I have also started to experience frequent crashing with version 17.2.208 particularly when opening files, especially complex ones.

There has been no change with my system setup which worked happily with all versions of MM up to and including 17.1.167 (32 bit) and which opened the same maps successfully.

Some of these are major maps I'm working on for current projects. Therefore, rather than waste time attempting to troubleshoot what is obviously a buggy version I have decided to remove 17.2.208 and revert to 17.1.167, which also has a better implementation of the new map rollup feature. I would advise anyone experiencing problems with 17.2 who still has access to 17.1 to consider doing likewise.

I would be grateful if you could inform us when a bug-free version of 17.2 becomes available.

Alex

Photo of Rick Sharon

Rick Sharon

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Alex and Colin! I just did an on-line chat with MM support & they gave me a link for 17.1.178.  I'm going to give Tech Support the rest of the day to get back with me on some other info I sent them to see if they have any 17.2 workarounds.  Depending on how that goes, or doesn't I may be trying 17.1.178.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Hope it goes ok. Unless you plan to use the new HTML 5 export feature a lot (which apparently is much improved in 17.2) or you will benefit from some of the 17.2 bug fixes, the differences between 17.1 and 17.2 are not that great - and, as I noted in my other post, the map roll-up feature actually works better in 17.1 in that it allows roll-ups in the same map.

Bear in mind though that any map with internal roll-ups created in 17.1 will automatically crash on opening in 27.2 - though in my short and unhappy experience with it almost any map crashes on opening in 17.2...
(Edited)
Photo of Colin Horner

Colin Horner

• 130 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hi Alex I've taken the plunge on 17.2.208 as I wanted to benefit from the improved HTML 5 export.  I do not follow your comment re: map roll-up.  Where do you see the reduced function in 17.2?
Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 132 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Alex, Rick,

Thanks for the feedback, we are investigating the cause of this issue in order
to get it resolved. 

Best Regards
David 
Mindjet Support
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Hi Colin,

When it isn't crashing for other reasons, map roll-ups work OK for me in 17.2.208 when I use them in separate maps, for example, if I use map B to roll-up topics and branches in map A. Where it doesn't work is when I try to use roll-ups in the same map, ie, if I try to create roll-up topics in map A when the source topics are also in map A. I did not have the same problem in 17.1.

At first trying to use roll-ups within a single map seems to be an odd thing to do but it is actually a great feature. Not only can you create mini summary dashboards within the same map, you can also create linked topics which can be updated with a single command to reflect changes in the source topic. This is a feature that a lot of people have been after for a long time.