Mindjet 2020: Map Elements to Outlook - Enhancements

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
I can successfully connect branch elements to my Outlook Task Fields.  However, I think it would be helpful if all of the task information from the branch could be "seen" in Outlook.  For example
a) Could Effort be displayed in Outlook as Total Work Time
b) Could the task information be sent to another person's outlook through the Resource feature in Mindjet

Anything that could strengthen the explore import feature between Mindjet and Office 365 would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 142 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
  • creative

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 142 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
... and I would add one more.  When you use the note field in Mindjet with directions, information or instructions, it would be helpful to see the same information show up in the Outlook open box field.  

The mindmap would hold the overall project picture while individuals would see their piece of the big picture pop up in Outlook at the right time with all of the requirements and supporting advice. 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1038 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes

HI Jerry, I'm a little confused about your comment regarding the Notes facility in MindManager and the comments section for tasks in Outlook as these actually do sync. They can also be edited at either end and resynced.

If however you comment refers to the fact that the capacity of Notes to handle links to other topics in the same map I agree. It is possible to incorporate links to external files and sync those successfully between the programs, but MM internal map links don't survive the round trip. In part this relates to the wider inability of MM to be able to export URLs for links to individual topics in maps.

A few years ago I wrote a series on my blog about integrating MM and Outlook. Much of it is now out of date as it describes a very cumbersome workaround which I developed to create dashboard maps in MM, before map roll-ups and proper dashboard maps were introduced in later versions. I was thinking of deleting these posts but I've retained them for the time being as they may be useful for people using MM up to version 16.

However the third article in the series is still fairly relevant (though bear in mind I haven't tested it lately). This lists the items which can be synced successfully between MM and Outlook, those which can't be synced and those (for example, topic properties) which are actually deleted if you attempt to sync a topic containing them with Outlook. Here's the link: https://sociamind.com/2015/01/21/using-mindmanager-dashboard-maps-with-outlook-part-3/
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 142 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
HI Jerry, I'm a little confused about your comment regarding the Notes facility in MindManager and the comments section for tasks in Outlook as these actually do sync. They can also be edited at either end and resynced.
You are correct.  I just ran a test and it worked.  So the notes field does work on both ends. Thank you.

I'm off to check out your article.

Very much appreciated.  Jerry