Mindjet Encryption

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
I use the Mindjet software on my iMac, iPhone, iPad, Windows PC and these sync through Mindjet online (https://vision.mindjet.com/).
I am reviewing security risks and need to know the level of end-to-end encryption (256 bit?) between my devices through your servers I also need to know how secure my 'data at rest' is on your servers, for example the encryption level (256 bit?) is needed. 

I also need to know what personal user information you collect such as location tracking, access to contact lists, user data with third parties, etc when using your software.

I have logged this question with you on 6/10/2014 'Case #00325039' and so far have nothing back. Please respond ASAP.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1268 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
I found this in the community by just a search on the word encryption.

==>
This document Mindjet Service Security Overview will provide information
about security. 

Note: The Mindjet Servers are located on the West & East coasts of the
U.S. Files are not encrypted at rest.  However all sessions are
encrypted and this applies to all clients.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks.

"Strong Password Support
The Mindjet web app supports the use of strong passwords selected by individual team members, which are stored in an encrypted fashion on the Mindjet service. Mindjet employees have no access to passwords once encrypted."

So this would mean it's only password protected at rest?
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1268 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
After re-eading the document.... Yes.

If you think that that gives not enough security you may consider MIndjets On-Premise offering.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I set passwords for each if the documents in the Mindjet cloud and tested it this morning. iMac and PC work fine but the iPad and iPhone apps say the file is corrupted, giving no option to enter the password. Have you or anyone else had this problem?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 367 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Shaun, 

Our Mobile Apps cannot open password protected Maps at this time. 
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. What are the plans to add this feature?
Photo of Alex Martelli

Alex Martelli

• 68 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
The opening of password protected maps is not on the roadmap for the mobile product at this time.  We will keep it under consideration to add to the roadmap.
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok but this must be a simple modification to make for the next update/release of both the iPad and iPhone Apps available for download. Otherwise the Apps are useless for password protected mind maps, leaving no option but to have then not password protected if using these devices and reducing security protection.
Surly this is a critical update and should be included within MindJets strategic roadmap as cloud security requirements increase for both B2C and B2B users?
Photo of Alex Martelli

Alex Martelli

• 68 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I hear your concerns, Shaun.  We will take it under consideration for putting into future releases.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 76 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Unable to set a password for any file and unable to set different passwords for different files. This is just amateurish. I raised this over a year ago and it's still not been addressed. What's going on?
Photo of lonemccord

lonemccord

• 33 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I was just informed my my IT department that the encryption for the web service session is only 128bit (not enough to get approval)

I have yet to learn what level of encryption I get on a specific v15 windows map when I choose >file>Info>encrypt. IF it is also only 128bit, then I am never going to get this software approved for use. Does anyone know?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

• 367 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Lonemccord,

The level of encryption in MindManager 15 and previous versions for Windows is 128 bit. 
Photo of Shaun Green

Shaun Green

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Marian Kocmanek Is that end to end, data at rest or both?? Also how does that apply to password protected items when using Apps, as previously mentioned within this chain MindJet Apps are unable to un-password protect items making them less secure.

@lonemccord
What level of encryption does your organisation require end to end and at rest?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

• 367 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Shaun, 

MindManager for Windows has a different encryption feature. Our online service, Mindjet ProjectDirector/Connect  also uses 128-bit encryption. The encryption is in transit, not at rest. 

"Mindjet Connect uses 128-bit SSL 3.0 TLS 1.0 communication 
to help protect all files shared on the Mindjet Connect service. 

Real-time collaboration sessions are protected with the same 

SSL security as document collaboration."

If a Map is encrypted using MindManager for Windows, encryption would have to be removed before the document can be viewed in our web and mobile clients.