Mindjet MindManager 2015 STILL Unable to Export to MS Word 2013?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
My question: Is there a work around? I need one quickly for a project I am working on.

My complaint:
I can't tell you how disappointing it is to see that for three years people have been reporting this problem and it is still not fixed. I am a writer and have used this software and export function for nearly a decade. I sat down to use it last week and found that it no longer worked on either my 2012 version or my 2015 version. I have MS Office 2013 Professional, Win 8, and like I said, 2015 & 2012. When the 2015 version would not work, I reloaded the 2012 version.

Unfortunately, I also endorsed my favorite software for several project managers at a major university recently for writing proposals, reports, in addition to project management tasks. I can't wait to hear how this is affecting them.

Exporting to work is THE MOST important function of mindmapping for writers and it has obviously been put on the backburner for quite some time. I don't understand why it worked for me and now it doesn't.

Would love a resolution. Thank you.

Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Patrick Baker

Patrick Baker

• 46 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Brenda 

I think this is  a peripheral issue  not directly related to Mindjet.  Had a client having issues with export to PDF and I found a workaround by updating Java . This might work for Word as well. Might be a long shot but worth trying. 

In MindManager 15, go to File>Help and check whether you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version installed. 

Then download the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Java 

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Rmember to close down MindaManager before updating Java the process

Be interested to know if this works so please do let me know . 

Regards 

Patrick 

(Edited)
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Patrick: Thank you very much for your attempt to help. I jumped in and updated Java according to your instructions.

My Mindjet version is 32-bit. It tested fine. I restarted again. I have also done a repair, as someone suggested, and I have used the knowledge base to see what I might find there. I checked all contingencies in both MS Word and MindJet Options and they were as they should be.

Interestingly enough, I cannot even do a "SAVE AS" and save to MS Word--no document related *.* suffix exists in the list as is suggested in the help files and as was once available.

I read in the Community discussions that the ability to export to MS Word has been disabled for now. Now that I have gone through all of those steps, I am beginning to believe it. I just need those very simple things to work!
:)

In the meantime, my Java is quite up to date.

Again, thank you.

Brenda
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This seems to have been a problem three years ago. :( I sure hope this is something I've done and that can be fixed...but, I'm not seeing many solutions.

https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet...
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 827 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Not so much a solution as an alternative - have a look at the WordX add-in from Olympic: http://www.olympic-limited.co.uk/prod... This gives you much more control over exporting to a Word document, for example you can customise the Word paragraph style to be applied to individual topics or groups of topics. It isn't cheap but you can get a two-week trial.
Photo of Patrick Baker

Patrick Baker

• 46 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Brenda 

Thanks for the reply :-) . I am running the same configuration as what you are with no issues so think it might have to do with another issue. Sometimes the little culprit is your antivirus / firewall blocking export. Have you tried to disable your antivirus and then try to export? 

I'll dig around and see if I can find some solution. 
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, Patrick. I will try that. It's the oddest thing. I'll do that and see what happens...but, you know, that really shouldn't be a problem. Again, I can't do a "Save As" *.doc or *.docx which is outline clearly in the help files as an option. I think I will uninstall all MM and reinstall MM 2015.
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I appreciate that input, Alex. At least I know there is a pricey little add-in (about $75 USD, I think) if I decide I can't take it any more. :) I'm hoping that this is an operator error or that my configuration is the culprit. Honestly, as a rule, I don't add-ins very much, but WordX has not been ruled out. Thanks much.
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
THIS IS RESOLVED. I agree that this was no fault of MindJet. This was something going on in my computer.

At Patrick's suggestion I cleaned up my Java installations.

I removed Mindjet Mindmanager 15 - 32 bit and reinstalled Mindjet Mindmanager 15- 64 bit (restarted) -- Removed and reinstalled MS Office 2013. - restarted.

For whatever reason, my MindManager could not "see" my MS Office 2013, although MS Office could see MM 15.

I don't know which of those steps fixed it. but it has been fixed. I hope that this helps someone resolve a similar issue.

Please note that using the Repair function on both MS Office 2013 & MM 2015 through the Control Panel did nothing to resolve the problem. It took completely uninstalling and reinstalling both of them.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 116 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Great to see the problem resolved.
I have found the ability of Mindjet to explore maps to MSWord a significant and helpful feature.

All the best.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 827 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
I'm glad that the issue has been resolved, but if you do export to Word a lot it is definitely worth checking out WordX.

As I said in my previous comment it gives you much more control over the export process which means you end up doing a lot less editing at the Word end. The other great thing is that it uses Word's own templates and styles - unlike MM's Word export, which generates the equivalent styles but with an MM prefix. These are difficult to integrate with the "straight" Word styles and can make document management difficult.

There are only two add-ins I use a lot - WordX and MAP (also from Olympic) which is like a toolbox of handy tools to simplify tasks you can already do in MM or to add ones which aren't there, like slide image export to PowerPoint or Word.
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
All I have to do is be publicly indignant about something and I am guaranteed to find out the problem is on my end. It works every time. :)
Photo of Patrick Baker

Patrick Baker

• 46 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Brenda 

Great to hear you got it resolved. Yes, could be a combination of things and alway so difficult to pinpoint. Thanks for putting down the steps as this always provides a pint of reference for getting similar issue resolved. 

Seeing that you have  Mindjet MindManager  15 and Word working here's a complimentary copy of our Icons4Maps Business Pack to celebrate :-) if you want to make use of this . It runs through our subscription page http://clika.pe/l/8711/15937/ so we can protect the licecne key :-)
Photo of Brenda Stone

Brenda Stone

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, Patrick! I will definitely use them.