Mindjet for iPad crashes on launch

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Have been using Mindjet for some time now on my iPad. Have some maps stored in Dropbox and some stored locally on the iPad.

Since installing the update on 10/11 Aug I am unable to launch Mindjet at all. The app icon blinks, screen goes blank momentarily but then returns me to the normal (app selection) view.

I am reluctant to delete the app and reinstall as this may delete the maps that are stored on the iPad.

Any suggestions? Is this a known problem?

Any help appreciated.
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Andy Markham

Andy Markham

• 133 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Andi--

Sorry you're having this problem--you are correct, if you delete the app you'll lose the local maps.

Have you tried to force quit the app and then relaunch?

It would be useful to know which iOS version you are running as well. Thanks.
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andy,

Yes I have tried force-quitting the app, together with switching iPad off and on again. Have tried doing this a number of times over the last few days, to no avail.

I'm using iOS5.1.1 on a New iPad 64GB (with 30GB currently free). Using Mindjet v2.7.1 with documents and data making up 1.0MB.

Andi
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andy,

I've noticed that if I 4-finger swipe on the iPad (similar to Alt-Tab on Windows) that I can see that the app has sort-of launched, but appears to be in limbo. I've attached a screenshot - it appears to be a background/launch screen

Andi

Photo of Andy Markham

Andy Markham

• 133 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
That's the loading screen, yes--can you force quit the app altogether and see what happens on relaunch? Thanks.
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have tried force-quitting in a variety of ways:
* double-click home button, press and hold app icon, click "-" to quit app
* press and hold sleep/wake button then slide to power off
* press and hold sleep/wake button and home button until iPad closes down
* press and hold sleep/wake button until slide-to-power-off button appears, then press and hold home button until iPad closes down

Have also tried combinations of the above i.e. force-quit app then power-off iPad.

Each time the result is the same.
Photo of Andy Markham

Andy Markham

• 133 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
That's very strange--so it doesn't actually crash, it hangs at the loading screen as in your screenshot?
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andy,

When I press the app icon it dims momentarily, then the screen dims momentarily, then the screen comes back exactly as it was before I pressed the app icon. It would appears as if the app tries, but fails, to launch. The whole thing takes less than a second.

Upon further inspection I have found (by 4-finger swipe) that the app has been launched but is stuck on the launch screen (as in photo above). This launch screen did not get displayed during the launch but exists if I search for it (by swiping). I don't seem to be able to anything to convince the app to move beyond the frozen launch screen.

When I launch Mindjet on my iPhone (and presumably how it is supposed to work on the iPad) the launch screen is only displayed momentarily before the list of maps already created is displayed.

So, perhaps a more accurate description is that the app freezes on launch rather than crashes, although when pressing the app icon it just appears as though the launch has failed/crashed.

I'm regularly trying the force-quit / shutdown iPad approach to little effect. Beginning to think that I will use the iPhone version on my iPad for a while, wait to see if installing the next release (when it comes) happens to cure the problem and, if that fails, bite the bullet and delete the app and reinstall from scratch (storing maps in the cloud from hereon in).

.... Unless you can find a clever solution!

Thanks for your help,

Andi
Photo of Andy Markham

Andy Markham

• 133 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks for the thorough report Andi--I'm afraid your solution is cleverer than anything I have--we are working on an update we hope to have out next week, if you can hold out. Cheers.
Photo of Andi Scanlan

Andi Scanlan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andy,
Have just installed latest update (v2.7.2) and I'm delighted to report that Mindjet is now launching properly and I have full access to my maps.
Thanks for your help,
Andi
Photo of Andy Markham

Andy Markham

• 133 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Great news, Andi--and much obliged for following up to tell us.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.