MindManager 15 64-bit and Outlook 2010 64-bit Integration Issue

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Whenever I try to send an appointment or task from MindManager to Outlook I get the attached error message: "Mindjet MindManger could not connect to Microsoft Outlook..."

I am able to use the Outlook queries in MindManager, which successfully return results. I can even modify the details of the Appointments and Tasks that those queries return and sync those back over to Outlook.

It is just the Send Topic(s) To functionality that is not working in Outlook - this works for the other options including Microsoft Word.

Both Outlook and MindManager are operating at the same Privilege level and I have run the repair option on MindManager to no avail.

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1010484/RackMultipart20140116-28712-2oocbj-MMoutlook_inline.PNG?1389900198

So far I cannot use Evernote or Outlook properly with MindManager - I'm beginning to question the value of having upgraded.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Annoyed.

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 364 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Jim, 

We will be glad to help resolve this issue. Please open a ticket with our Support Team. In the description field, please specify what connection type you are using in Outlook (POP3, IMAP or Exchange).  

Also, please try to first test  with a new Outlook profile on your PC. If it works with the new profile, that would indicate there is an indexing issue with your current profile and the Outlook .PST file. 

Thanks, 
-Marian
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 73 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Already have Marian.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any solution yet?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

• 364 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Jim, 

I attempted to reach you and left a message. I will request for one of our support technicians give you a call during your local business hours to continue troubleshooting. 
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Afternoon Marian

Can we arrange a convenient time for your technicians to contact me today, tomorrow or Friday?

Thank you

James.
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

• 364 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
James, 

I'll ask someone to contact you to continue troubleshooting the Outlook issues. 
Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hello James

We have created a case for the issue you are experiencing. Some one will contact you at your local business hours. For your reference here is your case number: 00352769.   

Regards
David 
Mindjet Customer Service
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Evening guys - I believe I worked out that IMAP in Outlook 2010 and 2013 is what you need to address:

MindManager & Outlook IMAP integration

I’m currently using Outlook 2015 & MindManager 15 (15.1.173) and have been having countless problems with getting the Calendar & Task integration working. After much frustration, swearing and investigation I believe the problem is that the integration only works properly with POP3 and not with IMAP in Outlook 2010 and 2013.

POP3 creates 1 data file:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Outlook Files\ Work POP3 .pst

Whereas IMAP creates 2 data files:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook Data File – Work IMAP.pst  (default)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\myemail@gmail.com - Work IMAP.pst

Apparently, IMAP uses 1 data file to store emails and the other data file to store calendar and contact information. I’m guessing that the integration is unsure where to call data from and where to post it.

To test the theory, using Outlook 2010:

1.       I removed all Outlook email profiles and files from my computer before setting up an IMAP profile via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Mail. The 2 IMAP files were created as above.
2.       Created 1 meeting in Outlook Calendar and 1 task in Outlook Tasks.
3.       Started MindManager. Created a new map with 1 topic and 2 sub-topics – 1 using MindManager Outlook Query for Today’s meetings and the other using MindManager Outlook Query for Today’s Tasks.
4.       Ran MindManager Sync All Outlook Items In Map command: meeting and task both correctly imported into MindManager.
5.       Made changes to both meeting and task in MindManager: meeting and task changes both correctly propagated into Outlook.
6.       Created another meeting in Outlook Calendar and another task in Outlook Tasks. Used Send to MindManager button from Outlook: meeting and task both correctly imported into MindManager.
7.       Made changes to both meeting and task in MindManager: meeting and task changes both correctly propagated into Outlook.
8.       Created 2 subtopics in MindManager to send to Outlook as a meeting and a task. Both failed with “Mindjet MindManager could not connect to Microsoft Outlook. Try setting up Outlook, or restarting both Outlook and MindManager. Both programs must have the same Privilege Level property setting.”

I’m aware of a workaround being issued by Mindjet support, which works for POP3

• Set the datafile from my email account as default datafile.
  • The data from the other datafile is now copied to the datafile of my email account.
  • (All the data (email, calendar and outlook configuration data) is now located in 1 datafile)
  • Next I remove the old file (outlook.pst).

However, this does not work for IMAP where it is impossible to swap “Set As Default” setting in Outlook between the 2 data files.

Given how prevalent IMAP has become and how it has overtaken POP3 as the defacto email standard, this needs to be address urgently.