Mindmanager 2016 Silent Setup

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Is there a silent setup mode in MindManager 2016?
Photo of Pfeil

Pfeil

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
What is your definition of a silent setup mode?
Photo of Pfeil

Pfeil

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Unattended installation like "setup.msi /passive"
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Download the Admin version (only available in 2015 at the moment) and extract the PDF file which outlines the options.

http://www.mindjet.com/support/produc...
Photo of Pfeil

Pfeil

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks

When is the 2016 version available?
(Edited)
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 369 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Pfeil, 

Silent Setup is available for MindManager Enterprise 2016. If you are interested in the Enterprise edition, please contact your local Mindjet office or preferred reseller.  

Best, 
-Marian
Photo of pt109

pt109

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Marian,

I am an admin with the same question and your answer leads me to believe the silent install is only available for the enterprise version? I really hope that is not true but am interested in the answer.

Paul

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Since MM single versions each require activation, -for obvious reasons-, I personally think it is a wise decision to offer this only to Enterprise users.

Enterprise is already available from 10 users up, so that may be a small extra investment for your company, but saves you at least a lot of installation and systems admin time.
AND Enterprise gives you a lot of extra's like integration with Sharepoint, and over 550 Webapps etc.
Photo of pt109

pt109

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Ary,

Licensing and deployment are two entirely separate issues. There are plenty of companies out there that have single license key software that provide the ability to silently install their products in an "enterprise" manner. They also provide for user level rights being able to register the license once it has been deployed (silently) to the customers machine, I hope Mindjet had the foresight to plan for that also but we will see.

By choosing to limit the silent install to the enterprise version, Mindjet has put undue burden on the admins out there who are responsible for deploying software. I can tell you, my bosses are listening more and more to people like me who are telling them what the true/total cost of a piece of software like this.

My customers are used to software just showing up on their machines, no fuss no muss. When I deploy this software I will be sure they are aware of the deployment choices made by mindjet so they can make more informed decisions about software purchases and the "true/total" cost of software.

In the landscape of ever dwindling resources and budgets companies need to remember the choices they make will be dealt with by us admins but they will also be communicated to the final customer.

Paul

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Paul I see and understand your point.
But since the limit is ONLY 10 users I do believe that the Total COst Of Ownership will provide a quick and enorm ROI to customers who qualify
Photo of pt109

pt109

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Ary,

I am not understanding your point and I don't think you are understanding mine. Unless there is some cost that I am unaware of associated with packaging up this software, there is no reason I can think of for mindjet not to provide a silent install for both the single license version and the enterprise. If I were a more cynical admin I might think they are using this as a revenue generator.

As for you making value judgments about my customers budgets, that is never a good idea. You say the cost difference is small between a single seat license and an enterprise license but apparently for my customer who purchased this it is not. If I were to say to them, come on spend another x number of dollars to get the enterprise it is worth it. I would not be in my job that long.

All I am trying to do is get mindjet to understand that they would be better off not using the silent install as a revenue stream or a hammer to get people to buy the enterprise version. When my customer asks why do I have use my valuable time interact with the install of this product, why cant it just be delivered to my machine. I will explain to them and everyone associated with this software purchase that mindjet has chosen to only allow silent installs with the more expensive version while other vendors who have software with both single seat license as well as enterprise licenses provide silent installs for either version.

This is just my opinion but if mindjet wants to reach the broadest customer base possible then they should  follow the example of other popular and large install base vendors and deliver a product that has the least amount of resistance in reaching the user of the software as possible. By doing this they would have an advocate in the Admin deploying the software not a detractor.

This is obviously not going to change so I am done posting here and have to focus on working with what I have not trying to convince mindjet of the negative impact of their chosen path in the management of their product.

Wish you well and good fortune,

Paul

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
OH MY GOD

I am sorry that I reacted in the first place.
Photo of pt109

pt109

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Through a bit of work I have found the following. If you run the vendor provided install (talking about the non enterprise install) on a reference machine (clean Windows OS install and little else) and look %Temp% with %Temp% sorted by date you will see ne folders appear.

With a little playing I managed to copy all the folders out which reveals a MSI for mind manager as well as the sharepoint components. I could not find the C++ redistributable install files or the MSXML install files but those are easy enough to download via Microsoft.

Once I had all those MSI's I was able to put together a silent install we deployed via SCCM. Normally we do not like pulling apart vendor installers like this but given the choice between hand installing the product on each machine or pulling apart the vendor install to create a more manageable process we will pull the install apart.

Luckily the license key entry does not require elevated rights.

Hope this helps others.

(Edited)
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I ran the 2016 Pro installer and monitored the %appdata%\Temp folder.  Several folders showed up during install. One contained an MSI.  Copied the MSI out and was able to use the standard /qn /norestart switch to complete the install.