MindManager 2017 Advertising Popups

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I get random popups advertising the 2018 version even when MindManager is not running.  How do I stop them?
Photo of John Jobst

John Jobst

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1409 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
We know the problem and have informed the Mindjet Developers and Marketing team. And I am confident they will solve it.... as  fast as they can ;-)
Photo of js2442

js2442

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Definitely something that happened accidentally and needs to be "solved". I think I read somewhere about programmers being plagued with really slimy marketing messages appearing unintentionally in their software. It's an awful thing that just happens sometimes to really good people.
Photo of js2442

js2442

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This comment was intended to be sarcasm.  I was mocking the notion these advertisements were a "problem" to be solved by the developers when it's clearly just sleazy and inept marketing.  
Photo of Skeptical

Skeptical

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Open Windows Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) and delete the task named "MindManagerVnn Notifications Check".
Photo of Jamie Laundon

Jamie Laundon

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Excellent, thanks!
Photo of wamobil

wamobil

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does not help, it get's created, whenever you start MM17.
Disabling the Task does not help either, it get's activated again, when MM17 is started.

This does not seem to be something that happened "accidently".

It is simply annoying!
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 375 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi All, 

Thank you for posting your feedback here. We've added in-product notifications to MindManager 2017 and later to provide both tutorials and the occasional promotion. 

If you prefer to no longer receive these notifications, you may disable them in MindManager Options. 

In MindManager, go to File>Options>General, then untick 'Show Recommendations'. 

Best, 
-Marian
Photo of Shawn Wesley

Shawn Wesley

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Really poor setup.  A popup when I start the program occasionally, fine.  A modal popup (in GERMAN!) that doesn't even look like a real app window... not OK.  Close to dropping the program over this.  Sent an email to customer support before I saw this post and never received a reply.
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Agree.  I've been a MindManager user since the original Apple II days - really (it was called Think Tank back then).  But this is third-rate, in-your-face, annoying.  The popup appears soon after booting my machine, whether or not I intend to use MindManager.
Photo of Arthur Perales

Arthur Perales

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I uninstalled mind manager and still appears! unfortunately this program has become spyware
Photo of Matt M

Matt M

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, this is truly a horrible product decision. I can *somewhat* understand a pop-up when I actually run the program. Giving me an advertisement as my PC boots up, randomly, is just creepy and obnoxious. That setting is fine, but not particularly intuitive. This is much too intrusive!