MindManager 2019 Installation Question

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

Just wondering if it is better to uninstall Mindmanager 2018 before installing MindManager 2019 or will MindManager 2019 automatically uninstall MindManager 2018?

Looking forward to trying out the new features.  Love that filters have come to the HTML5 export.

Jack
Photo of Jack Rosenfield

Jack Rosenfield

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • enthusiastic

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
SInce I also provide training and consultancy to clients with older versions, I personally have almost every mindmanager for windows version still installed on the same machine without any problem.

However... what would be the benefit for you to have both installed?
If you want to be sure MM2019 is really better, test it and you will probably stick with it.

Please do understand that when you doubleclick a mmap file it will open the latest version

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
And all the the import/export functions only work with the last installed version.

If you wish to revert to MindManager 2018 as your principal version, then run Repair in Control Panel - Programs and Features to make it the principal program.

If you do uninstall before installing the latest version, you may lose custom items you have created in the previous version e.g. Map Parts, My Maps, icons, images etc. You definitely will if you delete the previous version's user folders e.g. C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\18 or Registry entries. Some files or settings can be copied from the folders and more riskily the Registry to the new version if they didn't make it after the new install.

If after sometime you are happy with 19, you can uninstall and delete residual files for 18.
Photo of Detlef Huß

Detlef Huß

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jack, you may keep v. 18 as it is. The installation routine does not touch it. I'm using v. 18 now for direct comparisions and will remove it within some days.

V. 19 seem to be another sound improvement, especially in the project management arena!

My most favoured improvement is very small: The two "inserts" have been renamed to "insert" and "insert object".

Explore and enjoy it, as I do! :-)
Photo of Jack Rosenfield

Jack Rosenfield

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks to all of you for your replies.  I love the program and am slowly building up knowledge of the product with my eventual hope of having it adopted as a development tool at work.