MindManager Go: Mobile MindManager Viewer

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Can anyone (perhaps Marian Kocmanek?) provide an update to the community on Corel's intention to (re)develop a MindManager editor app for iOS and iPad OS?

Background:

It appears that Corel Corporation is finally doing something about MindManager iOS / iPadOS apps.  MindManager Go v1.0 first became available on the Apple App Store approximately four months ago, and v1.1.1 became available approximately three weeks ago.

I began mind mapping with Freemind in 2006.  I have been a MindManager user since v7 and an iPhone/iPad user since iPhone 3GS and iPad 2.  I really hope that Corel's recent viewer app development is a good indication of Corel's intent to (re)develop a MindManager editor app for iOS and iPad OS.
Photo of Rick Gill

Rick Gill

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Steve Krug

Steve Krug

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I just hope [fervently] that the don’t eliminate the existing iPhone EDITING app (Mindjet Maps) that still works remarkably well even though the last update was two years ago. I use it constantly and dread the day it stops working. (Unless they produce a new editor that’s just as good—which, sadly, I don’t really expect.)
Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello everyone.

I am glad you are seeing some positives from the release of the MindManager Go app. This is an entirely new app and as such is a work in progress. While I cannot reveal any future roadmap information, I can say that we understand the ask. As you can imagine, providing a useful editing capability with the limited screen real estate of a smartphone is a challenge and takes careful planning.

I would also like to mention that we are continuing to develop the Apple MindManager ecosystem and are fully dedicated to it.

Many thanks for your continued patronage.

Cheers... Blair
Photo of Rick Gill

Rick Gill

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
 Hello, Blair:

Thanks you for the development update.  I agree with you that the small sizes of smartphone screens make for quite the editing challenge, and I believe most would agree.  Perhaps future development will focus on creating a MindManager app only for larger screens such as iPads.

Sincerely,

Rick
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Krug

Steve Krug

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Blair...

Speaking both personally and as a longtime usability consultant (I wrote a book called Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability that's sold 600,000 copies), I use the old editing app at least once a week on my iPhone and iPad, and I find it to be very useful and usable on both. (Yes, I use it a *lot* on my iPhone.)

The ability to pinch-zoom and pan on a touch screen goes a long way in overcoming the limits of the screen size (and many of my mindmaps are very large). And the interface for adding items (touch an item, then swipe as the arrows indicate to add items, sub-items, etc.) works incredibly well.

If you're working on a new editing version, I'd like to encourage your team *not* to redesign the wheel unnecessarily, but to continue using the parts of the interface that work well already. (Of course, there are things that could be improved, but they're not the hard parts.) IN 35 years of consulting, I've seen far too many cases where teams felt the need to redesign from scratch, with less than ideal results.

I'd be happy to talk to your team and give them my feedback as a user and a UX guy. (I have a personal vested interest because I want to keep using the app.) Feel free to contact me at skrug@sensible.com.

Steve

(edited to remove many following blank carriage returns)
(Edited)
Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Steve. That is a very nice offer. I will make sure our UX design team sees it. Customer input is always welcome.

Cheers... Blair