Mindmanager 2012 keeps scrolling away from where I want to be

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
If I have a large topic that has so much text it runs off the top and bottom of the window it is exceedingly frustrating to edit because of the way MindManager works.

Suppose I am reading a portion and decide to edit. I click on the topic and MM immediately moves the topic. I think it is centering the topic in the window. So I loose my place. Then I scroll to where I want and click in the area I want to edit. Again MM jumps back to reposition the topic so it is centered, then starts s...l...o....w....l....y, line by line scrolling back to where I clicked. It is maddening to be able to use MM to do research or write when it behaves this way.

One reason I'm doing this is that I copy and paste text from documents and books as I am doing research. I keep one quotation as one topic. Then I want to highlight certain portions, or add a comment in-line.

MJ, please stop this automatic jumping around in MM so it stops detracting from the user's task.
Photo of jim

jim

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 508 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Jim, this scenario is probably not part of Mindjet's testing process, as topics are designed to hold smaller chunks of text.

As a workaround, you could try:

1. Selecting the topic and pressing Ctrl+Alt+Insert, which will split the text into multiple subtopics that you can annotate, or

2 Grab the side of the topic box with your pointer and drag it to make the topic wider, so that the height does not exceed the map canvas, or

3. Paste the text into the Topic Notes, which can handle longer blocks of text.
Photo of jim

jim

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. Pasting into the Topic Notes does work, so it's useful for some purposes but has a disadvantage of putting the text out of plain sight.

My point to MindJet is that they are reducing the useability of the product with this behavior. I've already talked to them on the phone about a similar phenomena where the map jumps and scrolls in maddening independence in another situation only this one was where you have a large map.

If you select a node, say near the top of the map (you may have to be editing a node, so the selection is IN the node text). Then scroll down several screens worth. When you select a node right in front of you, the map insists on scrolling up to the node you had highlighted, then down back down to the node you selected. By that time I've lost visual contact with the node I selected and have to hunt for it. If the map is large (not enormous) this auto scrolling can take a long time.

MindJet really needs to improve the program so it enhances, rather than ruins the user's visual concentration with all this scrolling up and down and re-centering.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.