Mindmanager.exe (2012) consumes 10%CPU when IDLE!

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I have Mindmanger over 7 x 24. I just notice that it is consuming 10%CPU and it is (in my opinion) IDLE. I have a number of maps open but do not understand what the 10% cpu is doing.
I am guessing there is an option somewhere to make it go Idle but have no clue.
My next step will be to perform a trace but that is overkill and have little faith that Mindjet support will respond.
Boblevy@storageman.com
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Bob. Thank you for your post. Can you please tell me exactly how many maps were opened, the size of the maps, and if the maps are in Connect. It would also be helpful to know what add-ins that you have loaded.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
3-7mb maps are open
27MB
2mb
27mb
and maybe a 68mb

Auto save set to 3 minutes
not signed into Connect but save there set to 10 minutes
all of the "add-in Options are checked

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Thank you for this information Bob. I have one of our support members testing this. He is going to leave the program running overnight to see what happens.

In the meantime, are you seeing the CPU % it stay 10% or does it just spike to that? Are the maps on a network drive? Do you see a correlation to the CPU % when the maps are being auto saved?

Also, are you minimizing MindManager when you want the program to go idle? Window's will do it's clean up when the programs are minimized, so this might help. Please let me know. Thanks again Bob!
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Brittney, I hope you are still following this thread. Please check the latest additions, 1 good and 1 not so good.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
1. cpu does up to 9-10 and stays there. When I first noticed it MM on 2nd monitor NOT minimized but "idle".
2. maps are on local hard drive (in my dropbox folder)
3. Since I save maps often, auto save should be rarely used.
4. The attached print screen shows a 4%CPU and the 2nd monitor with Mindmanager running
while I am typing the email I see 3.5 to 6.38 CPU.

GREAT NEWS, I found the source of the overhead by running sysinternals procmon:

30:46.7 MindManager.exe 8028 CreateFile C:\ SUCCESS Desired Access: Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
30:46.7 MindManager.exe 8028 QueryNameInformationFile C:\ SUCCESS Name: \
30:46.7 MindManager.exe 8028 QueryAttributeInformationVolume C:\ SUCCESS FileSystemAttributes: Case Preserved, Case Sensitive, Unicode, ACLs, Compression, Named Streams, EFS, Object IDs, Reparse Points, Sparse Files, Quotas, Transactions, 0x3c00000, MaximumComponentNameLength: 255, FileSystemName: NTFS
30:46.7 MindManager.exe 8028 CloseFile C:\ SUCCESS
30:46.7 MindManager.exe 8028 CreateFile C:\Program Files (x86)\Mindjet\MindManager 10\MindManagerCustomParameters.txt NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

I have a small csv files that shows the continuous activity but do not know how to attach to this topic.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hope this helps
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Just a thought Bob - Is your PC running a Power Saver mode and hence at a reduced Maximum Frequency?

Look at Resource Monitor > CPU > Maximum Frequency

I have not noticed an idle MindManager high CPU time problem with 2012.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew, Long time since we have talked. Need to catch up privately.
I believe that the root cause of the "idle" overhead is the file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mindjet\MindManager10\MindManagerCustomParameters.txt
This file does not exist and as you might be able to see from the "print screen" Mindjet loops with:

CreateFile
QueryNameInformationFile
QueryAttributeInformationVolume
CloseFile
CreateFile

I do not believe my desktop is running a Powersaver mode.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I don't have that file either.

Why not create a an empty file and see what happens.

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Bob. Are you still experiencing issues with this or did Andrew's suggestions help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I "added" the file and it was made worse then deleted the file and back to the same issue. So the bottom line is what the heck is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mindjet\MindManager10\MindManagerCustomParameters.txt
Since I can not add an attachment will do a image in next post
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Bob. Can you tell me exactly how you are testing and where you are seeing the load at 10%? Please see the screenshot below of what we are seeing when testing this. Thanks!

Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am not doing anything, MJ is "idle" at about 4-6%cpu and the only activity I see via processmon was related to that silly non existent file.
1. WHAT THE HECK is that file?
2. What product/program are you using to produce that nice graph?

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
We wanted to know you were measuring the CPU. As far as I know, System Internal’s Process Monitor does not show CPU utilization by process.

Here is how we tested.

If you’re on XP
Start -> Run -> perfmon.msc
Start MindManager

Remove the default counters in perfmon by highlighting each one and hitting “Delete”
Next add a counter
Right Click the Graph Area -> Add Counter
Performance Object = Process
Check Select Counters from List
Choose “%Process Time”
Select Instance -> Highlight Mindmanager
Click “Add”
Click Close

On Windows 7
Start MindManager
Start and search for “Performance Monitor”
Expand Monitoring Tools
High Light “Performance Monitor”
Right click graph
Remove All Counters
Right Click Graph
Add Counter

Let’s take a look at what Mindmanager averages this way.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have been using sysinternals process explorer for decades...
Still wnat to know what the .txt file is and WHY it appears to be looking for that file?
Will try perfmon when I have a chance.
My tracing with procmon (sysinternals) is what pointed me to the missing file that Mindjet keeps looking for.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
OK, i reied it you way with WORSE results: will post on next reply
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
@Bob - what Add-ins do you have running? The file "MindManagerCustomParameters.txt" does not appear to be part of the standard install, or at least I do not see it on my machine. Dynamically creating files in the programme installation folder is not good practice, as write permission may not exist there. So perhaps it is an add-in that is trying to access this file rather than the core programme. You can temporarily turn off Add-ins in File > Options > Add-Ins to see if this makes any difference.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Nick, I have all of the Mindjet add-ins checked, will uncheck one at a time AND run procmon to see which addin might be the cause. Thanks for the hint.
To bad Mindjet has not made that suggestion
Bob
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Some GREAT news.
First 2 links - both Microsoft free tools that were used to "uncover" the root cause.

Process Explorer v15.13 used to "see" the MindManager.exe cpu (and other resources)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...

Process Monitor v3.01 This detailed trace facility is used to monitor EVERY external operation of every process running on your system
Filters were used to save ONLY process beginning with Mind and open file operations.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...

The "root cause" of the "missing file" is Addin powerMarkers (v10.1.459.0)
I have two monitors and (THANKS NICK) unchecked each addin and watch the results on the second monitor to identify the culprit. After identifying the root cause I verified by turning on and off and there is no doubt that Powermarkers is the culprit.

In the next two posts I will upload 2 print screens. The first will show the root cause.

The second is posting a screen with cpu showing MJ minimized but yet still showing 1.72% CPU and on the second screen what it is doing.

I would like to understand if anyone at Mindjet cares enough to run these two utilities on there own system? Perfmon is OK, but these two utilities use the same source of information and present the data in a MUCH better and useful form
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The image below shows the root cause
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
This image shows an IDLE CPU at 1.72% - WHY?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Bob - I am glad you are getting somewhere. So disabling the PowerMarkers add-in stops MindManager from seeking this file? This add-in does not explicitly look for this file, but I will do some digging to find out more. It sounds very odd and this is not a well known problem, so might be something related to debugging. Have you had any beta versions of MindManager installed on the same system in the past?

MindManager's CPU load will depend somewhat on which ribbon is being displayed, as it continually refreshes the ribbon button statuses. I have not tried it myself, but you might find the CPU load drops a little if you minimise the ribbon.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Nick, Yes, it is definitely PowerMarkers, proved by turning on and off an watching the effects with procmon. On this machine I have not installed any previous Mindjet app.
when I talk about Idle I normally mean The map(s) are open but I am not doing anything or I have minimized the app to the task bar and not doing anything. In this idle state, I could understand "timer" pops every (user specified period) IF this is the case.

To be frank, I am very disappointed that there is any activity for an app that should be "waiting" for user input or action. Having been a developer from the 60s-to 80's this concept of cpu usage when idle is foreign. I am NOT a windows developer but find it interesting to use Sysinternals tools to watch(and learn) what is happening on my systems...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.