Mindmanager.exe (2012) consumes 10%CPU when IDLE!

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I have Mindmanger over 7 x 24. I just notice that it is consuming 10%CPU and it is (in my opinion) IDLE. I have a number of maps open but do not understand what the 10% cpu is doing.
I am guessing there is an option somewhere to make it go Idle but have no clue.
My next step will be to perform a trace but that is overkill and have little faith that Mindjet support will respond.
Boblevy@storageman.com
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 530 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
Bob, it seems that this file is some kind of diagnostic configuration file. The MmPowerMarkers Add-in is not directly seeking this file, but it is quite possible that it has asked MindManager through the API for some data that has caused MindManager to go looking for this file. So turning off this Add-in stops the chain of events. Mindjet Germany have a download of a sample file on their support web site. I suspect it is only for use when directed by Mindjet support. The sample they give is

// This file is used to customize some of constants used by MindManager for debug purposes
// Lines starting with double slash '//' will be ignored
// Lines following the line which starts with #end keyword will be ignored
//
// This file has to be located in MindManager.exe folder to be processed correctly
//
workspaces.antivirus.enabled = false
attachments.antivirus.enabled = false
#end

I don't know why MindManager thinks it needs this file. There must be something else set elsewhere that triggers this. As a workaround, you could try adding this file to the MindManager installation folder, and use the double slash to comment out the "workspaces..." and "attachments..." lines, leaving only the line "#end".

This might be enough to allow MindManager to run normally. Mindjet CSS might be able to advise why MindManager got into this mode, and how to turn it off. In the meantime, providing the file that it is looking for might keep it happy.
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Nick - thank you so much for your helpful tips.

Bob - I am still actively following this thread. I have sent this over to our developers to look at in further detail. Based on the information that Nick has provided you with, it would be helpful to understand what remaining concerns you may have, This way, I can appropriately update our team with the most accurate information. Thank you Bob. I look forward to your response.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
2 concerns.
1. still unanswered is why the file is needed. I have turned OFF the PowerMaker addon.

2. On my last posting, the idle overhead while less that 2% still bothers me which is why I posted the printscreen. When Mindmanager is "inactive" what is it doing besides waiting for me (the user). There must be some function that is CONTINUOUSLY running that SHOULD NOT BE. I can not dig deeper that "process polling" but AM aware of a product that can trace the insides of ANY application/process and provide very detailed information about what the application is really doing. let me know if you would like a pointer to that vendor. (I did use to work for that vendor) MAYBE related is MmReminderService.exe which is also running. HOWEVER MmReminderService.exe consumes ZERO overhead (CPU) or network activity.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 82 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
On May 8 I received an email and responded almost immediately with the information requested. There has been NO response.
At this point in time (0651 Sat am) Idle MJ=8.45%! but if varies.
Email below.

Dear Bob,

Thank you for contacting Mindjet Support. This case was escalated to me.
In order to assist you with your issue I would be needing following information :
-MindManager product you are evaluating.( File--> help--> About Mindmanager)

-Operating System on your machine including 32-bit or 64-bit.
-Microsoft Office version including 32-bit or 64-bit

I wanted to know how exactly are measuring the CPU. As far as I know, System Internal’s Process Monitor does not show CPU utilization by process.
Do you have any older versions of MindManager installed?

Best regards,
Shilpa Kabra
Mindjet

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Hi Bob. I have personally followed up with our support team regarding this case. Someone will be in contact to give you an update. I hope that this helps! Thank you for your patience.
Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

interesting thread. I am actually having the same question on MM eating constantly around 10% CPU when iconified as seen on the process manager.
When using the counter technique, this is more actually 20%+ CPU utilisation which shows up ...

The process takes about 150Mb of Private Working Memory Set.

I have 4 maps open.
map1 : 500 Kb
map2 : 5.6 Mb
map3 : 5.9 Mb
map4 : 43 Kb

They are all local to my laptop running Windows 7 64b
I am not connected to Mindjet Connect
the autosave rate is set at 10 mn

I have the Outlook plugin installed (outlook 2007) but when I closed Outlook it did not change the game.

I have also unchecked PowerMaker addon from MM options and it actually increased the CPU usage to around 30% when idle !!!
this is the picture, 10mn after unchecking the powerMaker addon ...

Thanks,
Michel.
Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

I forgot to mention I am using the latest version available

Produit : Mindjet MindManager 2012 for Windows
Langue : Français
Votre version : 10.1.471
État : Aucune mise à jour n'est actuellement disponible.

Thanks,
Michel.

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Hi Michel. I would recommend opening a ticket with our support team. They will need to gather additional information regarding the issue that you are currently experiencing as well as obtain your appropriate contact information. Please use this link: https://secure.mindjet.com/support/co... to open a ticket with our team. Thank you!
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i would like to understand what MJ is doing with CPU when "idle"

From a user perspective, I do not see the relevance of questions such as how many open maps, what size or what OS?
The current release 11.1.353 is a valid request.

I am disappointed with the IDLE CPU cost when most other processes are 1% or less when idle.

I have no issue with high utilization when I am active in MJ or I know MJ is doing something (like auto save).
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 530 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
@Bob
Are you still seeing the issue with repeated access attempts to the MindManagerCustomParameters.txt file on Mindjet 11.1.353?
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have not wasted my time with procmon - do I need to?
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Decided to give it a try since I have dual monitors: interesting "root cause" seems to be "process profiling" . Have no clue what that is but it continuous and no file reference
Bob
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 530 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
Thanks Bob - it sounds like the earlier issue of access to the configuration file has been superseded in Mindjet 11 with something else!

(Also for Michel) Do you have the Design Partner program enabled (Options > User information > Design Partner)? If so, it would be worth trying it with this disabled.
Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes it was on so turned off and restarted MJ. Waited a few minutes .
Verified no partner checked and disconnected from Mindjet.
I have a theory that it is mindmanger.exe internal coding since the CPU for exe hovered at 3.5-4.75% yet procmon showed nothing. Perhaps someone more experience than me can suggest a different procmon filter,

In a past life I was a pre-sales engineer for a windows product that would provide external program and code level tracing providing a very detailed trace of everything any process was executing. If the programs were complied with the PDB option (Program DataBase option) we could even trace at the program sourcecode level. The technology (called Black box) could be deployed to any windows computer, trace a process, and create a log that could be brought back to the developer. If you like I can arrange a connection to the vendor.
Meanwhile here is print screen that shows the cpu, trace and trace filter.
Photo of Michel Raskin

Michel Raskin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

just a quick update. I have seen your sugestion to submit a ticket to the support team but I am still in the process of trying to reproduce this.
I have rebooted by laptop, and since then the tool seems to behave correctly.
So should this problem occur again (it should as I 've seen it several times) I'll contact the helpdesk.

Michel.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.