MindManagerPro2012 window cycles between maximized/minimized

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
since i installed mind manager pro 2012 on my work laptop i have been having an issue where the entire window will minimize then maximize a couple of times for no apparent reason. this occurs repetitively with no set duration between occurances and occurs whether I am currently working in mind manager or in a different application. This causes the computer to stop everything else it is doing in order to cycle the window. Obviously this is causing frequent headaches as whatever i am doing gets interrupted - if I am typing and email, whatever i type during this cycling doesnt get put in the email; if I am flipping between windows they get put in the background and i have to go back to them; working in excel or any program i lose focus on the matter at hand and have to go back to it, figure out where i was when the window cycled, and try to resume from there.

For a slightly clearer understanding of what it is doing, attached is a picture of a context menu where i have drawn arrows pointing to the 2 functions (maximize and minimize) that mindmanger is cycling between. It does not pull up this context menu nor does it do it when i open this menu, i just used that menu to show the functions.
Photo of trevor rousselle

trevor rousselle

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • getting very frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Trevor

Does it relate to the display of any particular feature in MindManager, e.g. the task panes, or a particular display mode?
Does it make a difference whether or not there is a map open?
Do you have any hot key utilities running?
Do you have any window management utilities that might be picking up keyboard commands?

I don't have any theories, but unless this is an issue already known to Mindjet, it doesn't sound like something that MindManager normally does on its own.

trevor rousselle

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no hotkey or window management utilities running. i doesnt seem to do it when i do not have maps open, but i ran with no maps open for a pretty brief duration (about 5 minutes). I am opening single maps and seeing if it replicates hoping to isolate one map. so far has not reoccurred.

trevor rousselle

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I believe i do have to have a map open for this to occur.

I went most of today without seeing it cycle. however it has started acting up tonight. couple of points i am wondering on:
Does mind manager do anything to remind you to save a map? I dont think this is the problem as i have 2 maps open currently, neither has been updated or changed any, and it just cycled on me.

Does mind manager perform any action when it refreshes outlook items?
One of the maps i am using has 2 outlook items that it possibly could be refreshing. was thinking maybe it is doing this cycling thing when it refreshes those items. seems coincidence that it cycles twice and i have 2 outlook item on the map.

I will close that map and see if it still occurs...
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Even if it can be associated with the auto-save or synchronisation features, I still think there is some platform-specific factor here. Otherwise this behaviour would have a high profile across many users and would have been addressed before now. A Google search for these symptoms does not bring up many results, but malware is implicated.

@Mindjet, is this an issue that has been observed before?
@Trevor, have you scanned for malware?

trevor rousselle

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sorry for delayed replies - too busy these days.

this being a corporate laptop has McAffee on it (i know not the best) and is scanned weekly mandatory. no recent reports of it finding anything. I believe they have it set to maximum settings to include heuristics scanning as well for trojan kits and such.

There very well could be platform specifics at play as it does this on my work laptop, but same version does not do this on my home pc. Perhaps something to do with win XP. I am supposed to be getting a new laptop with win 7 on it in the next couple of days. Once i migrate to it, I will update with whether this issue migrated over as well. Hopefully it will not.

Thanks to everyone who is helping, I greatly appreciate it!
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Trevor

I don't know if it helps any more (or helps Mindjet), but today I saw something that sounds just the same. I deleted some old unused printers on a Windows XP machine, while MindManager 2012 was running. Each time I deleted a printer, MindManager cycled between maximised and non-maximised, anything from 2 to 6 times in succession. Maybe there is something on your system that is sending out a message about the printer configuration changing, or maybe MindManager is incorrectly responding to some other Windows message that another piece of software is issuing. Do you have any software that modifies or uses virtual printers?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.