mindmanger 2018 and online accounts?

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I just bought MindMnager and it seems like a cool tool.  one of the reason I picked it up was there appeared to be apps and a web based tool as well.  there doesn't seems to be any connection between my Mindmanager 2018 client account and the online experience. If I do things in MM2018 like hit the tasks button, it takes me to the web and when i login can i sync tasks, but I can;t create projects.  it's all really confusing.  Noting I publish show up in
Photo of mark

mark

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Yes, the cloud and mobile options are currently not being promoted by Mindjet as they're working on getting the HTML5-export to 100% and then use this canvas to improve the Windows/Mac/Mobile/Cloud feature parity.

However, when you enable Mindjet Files and Tasks (see screenshot below) you should be able to sync tasks and store maps in the cloud using a free account. There's currently no way to upgrade your free 'tasks account' to a paid version which also allows the creation of projects and subfolders.

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1251 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Well Mindjet has changed her Online strategy many times the past few years. Even an experienced user, trainer and reseller can be confused. E.G Mindjet purchased a fantastic tool called Cohuman, but after some time it has disappeared again. A shame since I loved it a lot and even use the old PPT presentation in my classes to explain how tools should and can help in Projectmanagement.

Lets hope that the next months some clarification comes to us on what to expect, what it can do, why the others were not good enough and all the common questions any customer like you may have.
Maybe Matthieu is right about the future, although there has not been an official announcement to the market audience about it. This means that anything can change at anytime until it's official.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 76 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
There doesn't seem to be a strategy, which is why I let my Mindjet Web subscription elapse last year.
Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have some questions about this subject: I have Mindmanager installed in my main desktop computer, and I love it. But, more and more I use mobile devices (tablets and laptops), and I need to keep my files in the cloud, so that I can open them from anywhere. In what it refers to Mindmanager, what I need is to keep the map files in the cloud, and maybe the library of resources. I want to install Mindmanager in my laptop (that has 64 bit Windows 10), and the map files in a service like Onedrive, that I use, since I am an Office 365 subscriber.

I tried it two days ago. I installed Mindmanager 2018 in my laptop and I uploaded the map files to a folder in Onedrive. I could open the map in Mindmanager, and everything  seemed to be going well. Then I made a shortcut to that map in the map tab. And closed Mindmanager.

But when I reopened Mindmanager, it crashed! I tried restarting Windows many times, but always Mindmanager crashed at open. The only solution was uninstalling Mindmanager.

What happened? What went wrong? I don't remember enabling MINDJET TASKS & FILES in the software options. Maybe that was the problem. 

What I have to do to use the map files in Onedrive? Something I remember is that I installed the library at a folder in Onedrive. To be clear, I don't need the software installed in the cloud. I have it installed in my laptop. What I need is only to keep the map files and the library files in a cloud like Onedrive. And open and use it whenever, and anywhere I am.

Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, it seems to be working now. I keep the map files and the library at a folder in OneDrive, and it's working. But I have to wait some minutes after opening Mindmanager. Then, everything works right.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

This is an edited version of a reply to a similar question I posted two years ago. Please note that it applies specifically to Dropbox and doesn't cover syncing with Mindjet Tasks or mobile versions of MindManager, but might still be helpful.

Provided you have the space on your main desktop and laptop PCs you can do what I do - keep a Dropbox folder locally on each machine which is synced with the Dropbox cloud folder. Since the Dropbox folder on each computer is like any other local folder there is no compatibility problem with most software including MM - you save a file to the local folder and Dropbox automatically syncs it to the cloud.

It's sensible to have at synced local folders anyway as in effect they back up the cloud folder - and vice versa. You never know when you might not be able to access the cloud folder.

Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex! Is the same true for Onedrive, instead Dropbox? I'm a subscriber of Office 365.
Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I installed the Dropbox app in my desktop computer, with a 64 bit Windows 10, and tested it. What I found out is that Onedrive is better, since it has more resources, and is faster. At the moment I have Mindmanager installed in a desktop computer and a laptop. In both I made a shortcut to a folder in Onedrive. In Windows Explorer I activated the option KEEP ALWAYS IN THIS DEVICE. That is the point I missed before! Now the map files are always in my devices, and at the same time they are in Onedrive server. Then, when I open Mindmanager, I don't have to wait the maps to download, because they are already there. When I change something in the maps, I just save and close the map. Then Onedrive immediately starts uploading the file to the server. When I turn on another device, the file is downloaded, and when I open Mindmanager, the map is updated with the change made before! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

I'm glad it worked out. You can easily confirm that the Onedrive folder is available locally especially on your laptop by taking it off the network (for example, putting it into flight mode) and then accessing the files. They should all be available, and any you do change or add should then resync when the laptop is reconnected to the network.

This is the one thing you have to be careful about. If you work on a file on your laptop when it is offline during a trip you need to remember to sync it first when you return before opening the same file on your desktop.

Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks very much, Alex! I've been thinking about what you say. Ideally, check the Onedrive window before performing any operation on Mindmanager. This window shows whether files are being downloaded or uploaded to the server. Another important point to remember is that you need to save and close a map for the changes to be updated on the server. I noticed that saving a file is not enough; you must also close it, and only then the update is automatically made to the Onedrive server.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
That's interesting. If that's how Onedrive works it shows one advantage Dropbox has. In Dropbox file are synced with the cloud when they are saved locally, even if they are still open. In practice this probably doesn't make that much difference, as you shouldn't try to work on a file on one computer while it's still open on the other.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

Hi Jorge, I'm not sure about this as I don't use Onedrive (even though I'm also an Office 365 subscriber). However I think it would work based on my reading of this comparison review of Dropbox, Google Drive and Onedrive: https://www.cloudwards.net/dropbox-vs-google-drive-vs-onedrive/ 

This review recommended Dropbox partly because it can sync only the changed portions of files without needing to sync the whole file, which made it sync faster once files were initially uploaded (incidentally while it recommended Dropbox a number of the comments were critical).

Anyway, assuming folder synching does work with Onedrive I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. I suggest you could try it first with by setting up a dummy local folder and subfolders and then synching that to the cloud via Onedrive. Try adding files to the folder locally from applications such as MindManager, resync and see what happens. Then synch the folder to your laptop, add and edit some files there and resync the whole folder again.

In my case I use my Dropbox folder as my main local folder, so all my programs save there by default. This way there are no compatibility problems as all they see and interact with is this local folder.

There is one disadvantage to this approach - in a worst case scenario somebody could steal your laptop and access or even delete all your files from it. This would then delete them from the cloud next time the laptop was synced. For this reason I also back up the whole Dropbox folder locally from time to time when I'm at home to an external drive.

Photo of Jorge Aramuni

Jorge Aramuni

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex! I'm using Onedrive in a laptop with Windows 10 64 bits. It works, but I have to wait a long time (minutes) after starting Mindmanager. After that, no more waiting. I'll try Dropbox in a desktop computer, to see the difference, and I'll post the results here.