MM 2017.2 and Map Roll-up - one step forward but two back

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)

I was looking forward to some improvements in 2017.2 in relation to Map Roll-ups, the great new feature that appeared in 2917.1, but alas I'm very disappointed. Essentially the upgrade fixes a couple of minor problems, fails to address others and kills off a couple of key features of the first version of roll-up.

On the positive side some issues with display duration have been fixed, as is the way in which the 2017.1 version overwrote the selected topic in the dashboard map. Exporting a map with rolled-up topics to HTML 5 also no longer causes a crash.

That's about it. On the negative side the new version no longer handles rolled-up topics being inserted in the same map as the source topic, which was a great feature for producing mini-dashboards within the same map. More importantly it was also possible in the 2017.1 version to store these rolled-up topics as map parts and paste them back within the same map, producing a neat network of linked topics within the same map that would automatically update whenever the source topic was changed.

Try doing any of these things in 2017.2 and the whole map crashes. This could have been a great killer feature for MindManager but for some reason the new owners Corel have decided to kill off this ability entirely.

The other problem that I notified to Corel was the fact that filtered dashboard maps behaved oddly, applying the filter first and then performing the roll-up. This produced some strange results and left the "Map is filtered" indicator in place even though the map is no longer filtered.

I suggested simply reversing the order so the map rolled up and then was filtered, but only the secondary aspect of this has been dealt with. In fact, when saved and reopened the supposedly filtered dashboard map now simply removes the filter entirely, along with the filtered indicator. This means that there is no ability to save several versions of the same dashboard map each with a different filter, again another potential great feature lost.

While this isn't on the scale of the great Outlook disaster of MM version 9 a few years back, I had hoped this sort of thing would disappear with a new owner. Unfortunately it seems I was mistaken.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 872 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Colin Horner

Colin Horner

• 130 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hi Alex many thx for this feedback very useful and saves me lots of time. Alas the story of life: One step forward & *** steps back. Pity that a supposedly Innovative organisation do not understand Innovation. That's what happens when you lose the Innovators thank you @michaeljetter
Photo of grogdc

grogdc

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree entirely--system is extremely buggy. I would like to add a more obvious flaw with the roll-up feature in regards to using tags.  What I have just discovered is the group tags in the source map loses its group identification and all tags are re-categorized under General Tags in the roll-up map.  The color indicator is also lost.  I find this incredibly sloppy since this should've been fleshed out in the beta testing.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 872 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

Yes - thanks for drawing my attention to this. So in summary, while the Map Roll-up is a wonderful idea its implementation is half-baked at best, being severely limited by the following:

1. The inability to insert rolled-up topics in the same map as the source topic/branch without MM crashing comprehensively
  2. Erratic and unusable filter behaviour in rolled-up maps
  3. Loss of tag groups and tag colours in rolled-up maps.

Could someone at Corel explain if there is a timetable (and if so, what it is) to fix these flaws in what would otherwise be a great feature?

Photo of grogdc

grogdc

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, Corel needs to create a new position within their team that allow super users such as yourself into their scrum process.  I know how important this is because my company is preparing to launch a SAAS financial application (which needs to work right from day one). We respond to the user experience during the development--not just after it is released.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1298 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
There several Super-Users invited to participate in a Beta programme for a next release. Ofcourse they are under a Non-Disclosure Agreement since decisions about the actual release can change what will be included.
Photo of grogdc

grogdc

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
These issues are rather apparent to me. I have come across multiple bugs and I am a new user to the system. Corel's priorities are set towards new features vs. cleaning up what needs to be working in the first place.