MM 2018 Publish feature has a big problem when a file is copied and used as another map

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hi all, I just discovered a problem with the Publish feature in MM v2018. If a map is published, and then that file is subsequently copied and used as a basis for a new map, the publishing link is carried forward into that new file. Then, if the publish link is broken using the unpublish click for that new map, the old publish link is destroyed. Yikes!

I can see this causing a lot of confusion among my users, as they are always using an old file to create a new file. 

Seems to me that a copied file that is renamed something new, should not carry over the publish link as it does today. 

In addition, there should be a "Create new map using old map as template" option under "New / File" as many office apps include.

I look forward to hearing Mindjet engineering comment on this one :) Thx!
Jigs

Photo of Jigs Gaton, Consultant

Jigs Gaton, Consultant

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Although the behaviour you mention is weird and should be corrected, help is near.

There has been an option to save a map as a template a long time already. Once saved as as a *.MMAT or *.XMMAT template file you can easily add it to the templates library for everyone to use.
(Edited)

Jigs Gaton, Consultant

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Yes, and while that option is there, I've never seen anyone use it. Not sure how you break the behavior of, "I like this file, so let me just copy it and use it for my next bit of work." 

I think that's why in MS Project (and in other apps), they have a "New from Existing Project" option on File / New: 

That will essentially use the existing project as a "template" for creating the new one, but won't include all the baggage that a straight-up copy does. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1306 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Actually in my customer base lots of customers use templates like those just to start another customer case or a new project.
It is an easier, safer and quicker way to achieve the same result.

Jigs Gaton, Consultant

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I just found the right click that does what we want: 

Not sure why MM did not put that click on the File / New backstage !?! 
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
The publishing status is saved in the document XML and includes the publishing ID that links this document to its published version on the Mindjet server. If you make a copy of a map file with Windows (e.g. File Explorer) then this data is also duplicated, and will continue to be matched to the published version. This allows the file location and even name to change without breaking the link with the published version.

However, the MindManager command File > Save As > Save A Copy omits the publishing status from the copy, so this seems to be the simplest way to duplicate a map without inheriting its published status.