MM2012 new perplexing issue: CANNOT SAVE any new map to any location, & cannot save any old map with "save as" without crashes. Any ideas??

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Long time single user, started with MM7.  MM2012 on old XP machine with big screen has been working just fine for years.  Issues started coincidentally with video card failure (now repaired.)  No networking or other users.  Symptoms are that I now cannot save any new map.  I can save, edit and close an old map, can then rename that edited old map with windows explorer, and can then open it and save it again with its changed name, but I cannot create and save a new map in MM2012; when I attempt to do so, the program crashes.  "Save As" button produces the same crash: 

"Mindjet MindManager 2012 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."  Underneath the message are two boxes, one says Debug and the other says Close.  Clicking upon either of them immediately closes the box and the program; "Debug" does not produce any debug info. 

I have figured out a workaround, but it's tedious. Details here might provide clues?  If I open MM2012, & log onto Mindjet Connect, I can use the New Map button to create a map and then close it.  It gets a default name (Map1.mmap), which i can then rightclick on to rename.  Then, using Download button at Mindjet Connect, I can save a copy to mmap folder on my desktop. 

After doing so, with the newly-established (at Connect) file on my computer, I can edit and save it on my local computer.

But I shouldn't need to create a new file through an internet connection.

I have scanned for malware, uninstalled and reinstalled MM2012 at least a half dozen times, (restarting computer each time) deleting registry values, running CCleaner, then rebooting, tried turning off second monitor, tried different lower resolutions on my primary display, turned big monitor off and rebooted to smaller 18" monitor.  But I'm apparently not deleting everything upon reinstall because I can't run MM2012 in trial mode upon reinstall; it shows Trial Mode Expired, which also means I can't create a new file OR edit new ones, until I re-enter my registry key from my purchase in 2011.  After I do so, I get full functionality, EXCEPT for the ability to create a new file or SAVE AS any old file. 

Anybody got any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Photo of john

john

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1686 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Have you considered MM2020 for Windows?
Of at least installed a trial to check it out?
Photo of john

john

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the thought.  Thought someone here might have encountered this problem and might have a suggestion for a fix.  $345 for a new program with additional capabilities that I don't need doesn't seem like a logical next step.

I'm running WinXP on this computer and not yet ready to update it until I finish another project requiring another (old) program on it.  Don't I need to update my OS to use anything beyond 2012? 

MM2020 Supported Operating Systems:
  • Microsoft® Windows® 10 32-bit and 64-bit
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 Service Pack 1, 32-bit and 64-bit
Moving my big screen monitor to another computer running MM2020 might make sense, but $350? 

Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 154 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I would suggest to first try to repair the program.  Close MindManager and then you should find the repair option in the Control Panel>Programs and Features.  See this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

After the repair see if the behavior changes. If its still failing I would suggest a clean uninstall and reinstall of the program. Here are the instructions 

Solution:
In some cases it may be necessary to perform a complete uninstall/reinstall of the software. You may need local administration rights to use the registry script provided in step two. Please have your license key ready. Follow these steps for a complete uninstall:

1. Uninstall MindManager in Windows control panel:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

2. Download and execute the attached registry clean script (Unzip the file, double-click it and confirm dialogs):
www1.mindjet.de/downloads/support/Remove-all-MM-reg-data.zip

3. If the install directory C:\Program Files\Mindjet\MindManager  (default setup path) still exists, delete it manually. The path can vary if you have installed MindManager per custom setup.

4. Delete the user data:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Mindjet

Delete the entire folder.

PLEASE NOTE: Local Settings and Application Data are hidden folders. By default hidden folders are not shown in Windows. To view hidden folders set the option "Show hidden files and folders" via Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options. Select the tab View. Scroll down the list to entry Hidden Files and Folders and activate Show hidden files and folders. Apply the setting and close the dialog.

5. Search the directory C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations for any files named Mindjet MindManager Pro .msi and delete these files.

6. Now install MindManager again using the appropriate 2012 setup file. You can download the latest files here:

https://www.mindjet.com/support-info/download-library/

7. Start MindManager and wait until the library is initialized. Before changing any setting inMindManager please make sure that your previous problem is solved.

MindManager Customer Support

Photo of john

john

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the detailed suggestion for a full uninstall.  I had found a previous suggestion on this forum to do all of the same things, and I have performed all of these steps (including repairing the program) with the exception of #2, because the zip file attached link was broken on the old posting.  Perhaps it still is?  Or, perhaps I don't get it, clicking on this link sends me to and requires me to log into salesforce.  I made a salesforce new user account and still can't get to this file.  Could you please perhaps provide a link to the zip file in another way?
(Edited)
Photo of David Walsh

• 154 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
John, 

Try the following
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LohishJxEXFHtA4z2EHLjDfqw4UfrHMY?usp=sharing

You can also use a utility like CCCleaner to clean out the reg entries.

Thanks
David 
MindManager Support
Photo of john

john

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the help, David.  I carefully performed every step of what you wrote above, including running CCleaner for a general cleanup between your steps 5 & 6. I then ran CCleaner registry cleaner 3 times, until it found no further fragments or registry fragments or etc. I shut down the computer and rebooted. Then did step 6 to reinstall MM2012 v10.2.404 (7/17/2012).

Then, I opened Mindmanager.  I did not click on anything, but just let the computer sit for awhile.  TRIAL VERSION EXPIRED was visible in the bottom right corner of the MM screen.  I typed in my registry key, and did nothing for a bit.  Then closed MindManager.  Waited a bit.  Reopened the program. Created a simple new file. Tried to save it with "Save As."  Mindmanager crashed.

Reopened MM, made another new file.  Attempted to save it by clicking the Save Button.  Got the same error as before.  Clicking the debug button or the close button does the same thing, immediately closing the program:

Photo of David Walsh

• 154 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
John,

One other item to try. Can you go to the Control Panel >Programs and Features and then in the left column you will see a badge icon that says turn Windows Features on or off. Click that and ensure that .Net Framework 3.5 is checked. If its checked uncheck it and click ok then go back into it check it again and click ok. Try the program again.  If you still have problems can you please send an email to customer.support@mindjet.com attention David and we can conduct a GoToMeeting to figure out what is happening. 

Best Regards
David 
MindManager Support