MM2012 does not save attachment edits when opened from MM2012

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Either from within or outside of MM2012. Log shows edits saved but on opening version reverts to when it was first attached.

NOT GOOD. EPIC FAIL.
Photo of Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pissed beyond words.

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Hello Thomas

I tried this with Word and text files, and changes did seem to be saved back to the map. The help file is not really clear about whether MindManager automatically reloads edited attachments. Could you describe the steps you are using? What file types are you using?
Photo of Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nick. I was using Excel 2010. Did edits from the in-app browser and outside in Excel. I open the attachment, edit, and save. The properties window shows it saved, but the edits do not show.

When I do a hyperlink, it saves. But when I move the file, the link gets broken, which is disappointing because I thought they were dynamic.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Thomas

I have tried editing an embedded spreadsheet with both the built-in browser and externally, and it seems to work OK here. Maybe there is something in the environment that is affecting. Is the map definitely opening with read/write access? Is the temporary location where attachments are opened also a read/write location? You can discover this location by trying File > Save As while the spreadsheet is open in Excel.

Which version of MindManager are you using? If you are not on the latest version, it is always worth updating as part of investigating a suspected problem.

Hyperlinks are "dynamic" only in the sense that if a map is linked to a document by a relative hyperlink, and you move both the map and the document together (so that they have the same relative locations), then the hyperlink will still work. If either the map or document are moved so that the relative path changes, then the link will no longer work and it cannot automatically find the same file again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.