MM2019 Possible bug - arrow keys not working in maps created using "New Free Form" template

• Problem
  • Updated 4 days ago
Hello 

If I create a new map in MM2019 using the "New Free Form" template, then the arrow keys for moving around a tree don't seem to work. 

e.g. Simply put:  If I create a topic and hit Insert type a title, hit enter type a title, hit enter and type a new title... (etc)...  if I then hit Up or Down arrows nothing happens. 

Whereas if I do the same thing by starting from say a Radial Map template, the Up/Down/Left/Right keys all work exactly as you would expect.

Also if I go File ==> New ==> New Free Form
At the top right of the popup it says
   "Free Form 
    This is a blank flow chart template"

Trying to help

J

PS can anyone tell me what is new about a "New Free Form" template?
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 97 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 113 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
John 

Thanks for the feedback we are looking into this. 

Thanks
David 
Mindjet Support
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 102 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi John,

The arrow keys are working as intended, all floating topics, regardless of the template you choose are nudged (moved) with the arrow keys when the floating topic is selected. This allows users to more easily position the topics using the keyboard. If the floating topic has subtopics and you select one the subtopics you can then use the arrow keys to navigate the tree structure. Also if you wish to traverse the floating topics with the keyboard arrows you just need to hold SHIFT and it will traverse instead of nudging them.

You are correct that description of the The Free-form template is incorrect, we filed a defect and it will be fixed in our next release.

Thanks! 
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello Sia

No, you misunderstand me. 

If I create a new map using the Free-Form template, then any topic that I create and which has sub-topics, when I select a sub-topic and use an arrow key, absolutely nothing happens!

This is emphatically not what happens when I create a free floating topic in a new Radial map.  

>  If the floating topic has subtopics and you select one the subtopics you can then use the arrow
> keys to navigate the tree structure. 

Yes, I agree that this is what happens in a new Radial map. But it does not happen when I create a new "Free Form" map.

Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 102 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi John,

You are absolutely correct, this has been escalated to our engineering team. Hope to have a fix soon.

Meanwhile you can use SHIFT + Arrow keys in the free-form map to navigate the tree structure. 

Thanks for the feedback!
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks.  Meanwhile, yes Shirt+Arrow keys is extremely useful. 
Cheers

J
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
PS Where can I make constructive suggestions for your developers to look at?

e.g. I suggest holding down both Control+Shift+Arrow key should do at least something. I suggest that something should be to move the topic faster. e.g. It could move the floating topic by 5 or 10 times larger increments.  That would be extremely useful on larger maps for moving topics over larger distances.

J

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
PPS Another weirdness(/bug?):

Is it expected that Shift+Arrowkey JUST causes navigation of the tree structure on floating topics? Or should it also leave the topics that it left as being still selected?

Either way the strange thing is that, even in a new Radial template map,  sometimes Shirt+Arrow key leave the topic visited selected, but other time is doesn't.  There well be some underlying logic but it's certainly not intuitively obvious what it is!

Control+Shirt+Arrow key does a better job of selecting where the focus has moved, but either way this whole subject needs to be reviewed & thought through intelligently by your developers to make it more intuitive.