MM2019 support for virtual Windows desktops?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Hi everyone,

First, do many people here use Windows10's support for multiple virtual desktops (you usually get to the function by pressing WIN+Tab - Windows Key + Tab)? I find myself using the feature a lot more often as I'll have multiple windows open but then move selected ones to a separate desktop. Today is case in point: I'm doing research using multiple browser tabs in a Chrome browser instance and Mind Manager, so those two tools are in a virtual desktop, away from Outlook, Slack, Twitter, ... :-)  Very useful to help contain distractions. Chrome supports multiple instances, so one virtual desktop has one copy of chrome, and another has another.

My issue - and it could be a feature enhancement - is that it seems MindManager does not support multiple instances. If I want to open MindManager on a separate virtual desktop, it automatically switches me to the existing running instance on another desktop.

Has this been an issue for anyone? Any workarounds? How would one file this - support for multiple instances on MM on Windows - as an enhancement?

Many thanks!

Fernando
Photo of fsmontenegro

fsmontenegro

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1641 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Mindjet developers /support read the posts in this community, so they should now know your request.
If they implement it is a matter of:
  • How many users second this idea
  • How much effort is it to develop, test and implement
  • Does it interfere with the total design of the software yes/no
I personally never felt the need to split my focus across many screens... but that may be just me.
Photo of fsmontenegro

fsmontenegro

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Of course, each one of us has a different approach to how they work. Sharing mine in case it helps others.

For me, it is about creating the right environment to work in. A virtual desktop gives me just the apps I care about for that particular task. Couple that with a Pomodoro timer for time-boxing, and it helps me focus. Better this than anytime I switch between apps being reminded that other distractions are there.
Environment design, I think is what this is called.
Thanks again!
Photo of Paddy Boocock

Paddy Boocock

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You might want to try using a virtual machine rather than a virtual desktop to host your second copy of MM.

The virtual desktops are not separate machines, but just provide selective views of the same Windows machine.

If you do opt for the VM approach, I'm not sure how using a VM for a second copy would play against the MM licensing policies - you might want to verify that.
Photo of fsmontenegro

fsmontenegro

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for the suggestions. Virtualization brings its own set of problems - licensing, as you mentioned, as well as potential performance issues and complexity. I'm a technologist, and have used virtualization in the past many, many times (including VMware, VirtualBox, kvm, Xen and container-based approaches such as Docker et al).

What I like about the virtual desktops is precisely that they are the same machine. The separation I'm looking for is just to be able to open two maps at a time, but one on each virtual desktop. In my case, one map is the report I'm writing, the other is my work tracking map, or my self-study maps, or many other possibilities (I have hundreds if not thousands of them).

Again, many thanks! Hoping the good folks in Product Management are reading this and considering adding support for multiple instances of MM. :-)

Photo of fjmolina204

fjmolina204

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need some expert to guide me in the following: I installed the mindjet 2019 on a windows10 PC; it takes a long time to open the application every time I close it; Can someone help me correct this problem?

• 1640 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Not in this topic. Best option for you is mindjet support via mindjet.com website.
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Fernando, you can use a program called Sandboxie. It runs any third-party software in an isolated "sandbox". I just tried with MindManager and it works for your use case. 
Photo of fsmontenegro

fsmontenegro

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Adrian, this is a nice idea. I haven't run Sandboxie in a while, will look into it.
Photo of fsmontenegro

fsmontenegro

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just an update for people: I found a manageable workaround. A map can be "detached" from the main MM window and can then be moved to a separate virtual desktop. Not ideal as I lose access to the full MM UI (top menu) but is OK for my current needs.
Really hoping we can find a way of better supporting virtual desktops. They're useful :-)

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments!
(Edited)

• 1640 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Glad to see this helps. You can even just drag the maps form the  tabs at the bottom to a different screen, available since I believe MM2015