Moving a label on a connection line properly

• Question
  • Updated 19 hours ago

How can I move a label on a connection line properly? Often the default position is too far from the box and when I try to move it, it jumps all over the place and often stops off the line and then will not move with the line.
Photo of Ian McIntyre

Ian McIntyre

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1298 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
Please include an image or a small video to help us understand
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 872 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

As Ary suggests it would help if you could provide a screenshot or additional information. 

My best guess is you are talking about the label on an added relationship line. These are in effect a callout on the relationship line and as such behave like callouts, ie, a little erratically, though they should move with the line.

If the connection line from the label to the relationship line is an issue you can go to Topic Shape under Design on the ribbon and click on Format Topic. When the dialogue box appears select the Shape and Color tab and click on No Line under Shape for Callout Topic. You can also remove the Fill colour to just show only the text.
Photo of Ian McIntyre

Ian McIntyre

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is a screen shot that shows the problem. The default position for the label is somewhere near the middle of the connection line.  I want to make it very clear to my target audience whether the decision is "Yes" or "No", so I want to move the label closer to the decision box.  I do this by selecting the label box and then t dragging it.  It will allow me to do that but it will not let me drop it some place else on the line.  

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 872 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

Thanks Ian. I was half-right. The topics in Concept and Flowchart maps are actually specially-formatted floating topics which are linked by relationship lines instead of conventional map lines.

When you insert a decision the Yes and No options are actually callouts on these relationship lines which are anchored at the half-way point of the line. If you leave them there they will stay on the line but if you move them anywhere else they are still anchored to this spot (if you follow the reverse of the instructions in my previous response to actually format these by adding a line you will see what I mean).

As you indicate while you can drag these yes/no callouts off the line they don't like to dropped on the line anywhere other than their default location, but there are a couple of workarounds:

The first is a little tricky, but I have found that you can drag them onto the line, but most of the time you have to do this in two movements. First, drag the callout close to the box, not directly on the line but as close as possible next to it. Sometimes you can get lucky and it will just snap to where you want it, but if not try gently moving it sideways onto the line from where it has landed. The biggest pain with this method is that sometimes the callout will end up behind the decision box and it can be surprisingly difficult to retrieve it.

The second is a bit more reliable. You can delete the callouts on the relationship lines and then add the equivalent callouts attached to the decision boxes themselves. In a flowchart or concept map these callouts will have the same default formatting as those on the relationship lines and it seems that it is a little easier moving these to where you want to place them, including on the relationship line.

Photo of Ian McIntyre

Ian McIntyre

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, Alex.  The second solution worked for me.  I added the callout as you suggested and it stayed at the same position near the decision box no matter where I dragged the associated topic.  It was tricky adding a second callout to the decision box because it positioned it on top of the first one (like a copy and paste can do) but I was able to drag it to another apex of the decision box and it showed on the associated line going to a second topic.  It took a few tries to find the sweet spot but it did work and when I dragged the second topic to new locations on the map, the second callout stayed anchored on the line and close to the decision box.  

I appreciate your support on this.  Cheers.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1298 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
And as an extra solution, you can drag the labels while the shift button on your keyboard is pressed down.
It gives you some more flexibility.

By the way.... this also works for floating topics.