My formula wishlist ...

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
The formula and Smart Fill features have already added so much to MM14 - for which I'm very grateful.

Here's what I'm dreaming about now:

1. Two Properties per topic, separately calculable (e.g. Volume + Value)
  2. Smart Fill paste for more than one topic at a time
  3. IF/AND/OR conditionals in formulas (seen this suggested elsewhere)
  4. Formula referencing system (e.g. auto-refreshing references from the topic's own mini-spreadsheet, anywhere in another topic, another map or cells in a proper Excel spreadsheet)
Anyone dreaming the same?

David

Photo of David Abrahams

David Abrahams

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • Good

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Can I make one addition? :)

5. Being able to reference other topic properties like Task Information, Icons, Hyperlinks, Topic Text ... this would really open up a great deal of possibilities!
Photo of David Abrahams

David Abrahams

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I noted zak_neutron's interest in IF/OR/AND conditions for Smart Fills. Good idea.

The other thing that occurs to me in the same regard, which would/could meet zak's point: a keystroke recording system, a bit like a macro but without the complexity of special language. Then any menu-driven routine could be saved  and referenced in formulas - or just invoked for convenience. The "menu macro system" could (for example) record the keystroke routine which adds a particular icon, e.g. "IF($[Calculated Property]<$Y, [MENU-MACRO add a bomb icon])".

All too easy to ask for the earth, I know ...

David

Photo of Michael Deutch

Michael Deutch, Official Rep

• 438 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Thanks for the input! @David, I have a question -- can you explain further your #1 comment:

Two Properties per topic, separately calculable (e.g. Volume + Value)

I don't understand what you're looking to do. 

Photo of David Abrahams

David Abrahams

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Michael,

Many thanks for your note.

In all honesty, in preparing to answer your good question, I conducted some experiments - only to discover that THIS FIRST DREAM IS ALREADY FULFILLED! My apologies for any confusion caused.

As you know, of course, and to explain my discovery: it is not only possible to add multiple Properties and associated formulas to a single topic. It is also possible to make a multi-property calculation WITHIN a single topic.

Just to be clear for any other readers who may have missed the same point as I did:

Taking a simple Quantity * Price = Sales revenue example, you can have three interacting Properties in the same single topic:  (1) "Quantity" as a calculated property from descendents; (2) "Price" as a straight input Property and (3) "Sales revenue" as the product of the "Quantity" and the "Price" Properties in this topic.

The trick is first to choose the topic SELF (which of course is the topic you are already in), then to type an opening square parenthesis [. At that point the choose topic button comes alive again and there is a drop down menu showing all the Properties in this topic available as formula inputs. You simply repeat the process to follow the formula rules: [Sales revenue] = Self[Quantity]*Self[Price]

Hope I got that right this time, Michael.

Best wishes,

David

(Edited)
Photo of Michael Deutch

Michael Deutch, Official Rep

• 438 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Yes, that's why I asked. You can have multiple formulas on a topic. And, the formulas can reference the properties or formulas on the topic itself. Glad you worked it out. 
Photo of David Abrahams

David Abrahams

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks. I'm happy to have discovered the features. Really smart.

Best wishes,

David