No option to export slides to PowerPoint - or anywhere else - in MM2021

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I was aware that MindManager was moving away from import and export models that required Microsoft Office products to be installed but which still facilitated the import and export of MS Office files.

That has been achieved for Excel and Word, but I'm very surprised that export of MM slides to PowerPoint seems to have been removed without any replacement. In fact there doesn't appear to be any export facility for slides at all.

While I like some of the new slide features, the loss of PowerPoint export is a major blow for a lot of people who use MM to structure presentations which they wish to complete in PowerPoint or other applications that can import PowerPoint slides. They may want to do this because PowerPoint has a much wider range of formatting options, or because the MM slides are to become part of a larger presentation.

There is also a practical issue. If you are presenting at a conference you often don't get the opportunity to use your own computer and you often have to forward the presentation in advance to the organisers. Not many of these are going to be able to handle MM files, let alone the new MM slide deck format.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1275 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Alf Christophersen

Alf Christophersen

• 81 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I agree this a step backwards, really.
But the last point is maybe solvable if you share the document with yourself and log into that at converence time and open up your work on the conference computer ?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1271 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
That might work if a) the conference computer has MindManager installed and the organisers are happy to let you loose on it, or b) you could export the slide deck as an HTML file. The first is unlikely and the second doesn't seem possible

In any case, at most of the conferences I've presented at the organisers much prefer to have presentations ready to preload before the conference commences or at the very least before the session I'm speaking in. 

I agree this is a retrograde step and at the very least users should have been informed about it.
(Edited)

Alf Christophersen

• 81 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
From what I understand from the new oppotunity in MM 2020, you may share your map with those who get the links, and if you store that on your mobile and forward that to the presentation computer in some way, you should be able to open it in the conference. By using tags of appropriate kind you should be able to present your work :-)
And even share it with any in the auditory hall and they may use it in future :-D

As former conference responsible at at least two international nutrition conferences I envy everone of today having such a tool at hand.
Having all speaches ready for powerpoint presentation was a hell at least on the first conference as nothing that the hotel promised  was ready. Even too old version of Powerpoint so I had to import everything on my computer and then downgrade almost every stack :-(
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1271 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
Are you talking about sharing the file in a Co-Editing session and then opening it at the presentation, or publishing it and then opening up the HTM5 file and using that to present?

I guess these options would be feasible if you just want to walk through the map, but as far as I can tell you can't run a slide session in either, nor it seems can you publish or co-edit the new MM slide decks. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it appears that you have to be running a full version of MM in order to run a presentation using MM slides.
Photo of Sia

Sia, Official Rep

• 270 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Hi Alex, 

You will be able to publish your slides, it's on our immediate roadmap but I can't share a date yet.

Alf Christophersen

• 81 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Good to hear, I started to get worried
Photo of Blair Young

Blair Young, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hey everyone

We totally understand the angst that some of these changes create. We are doing foundational changes to the undercarriage of MindManager so we can bring some pretty amazing capabilities to market for our users. Unfortunately sometimes you need to take one step backwards to take two (or four) forwards when dealing with changes of this nature. I assure you all it will be worth it.

Once again, apologies for any inconveniences.

Cheers... Blair
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1271 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
Hi Blair,

Thanks for clarifying this and I look forward to the new capabilities.

Like many other users I appreciate the features that have been added to MindManager under its new management - map roll-up and SmartRules, to name a couple, are amazing.

I think however that the loss of features such as slide export could have been better explained upfront, so that people who rely on them knew before they upgraded what they were going to be in for.

I note, for example, that for I think the first time the MM21 release notes do not contain any reference to deprecated features, such as the removal of the slide export feature or the lack of a Send to MindManager add-in for Word. Users shouldn't have to stumble around finding what's been left out the hard way, by trying to use a feature and discovering it's not there.

On the issue of slide publishing/exporting itself, I think there are two aspects that should be included in a future upgrade:

1. The ability to easily publish slides as images. To an extent this can be done at the moment by printing the slides as images (or via the MAP add-in) but this should be made easier. If you check back through the forum this has been an often asked for feature, as previous versions of MM have lacked this as well.

2. The ability to export slides as outlines. This was the feature removed in MM21, and I believe is actually more useful on a lot of occasions than direct slide publishing.
Photo of Ivan Cole

Ivan Cole

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
When can we expect this feature to return?  This was a big surprise to me.  I would have also expected you to replace the feature rather than deprecate with no advance notice or method to have a comparable feature.  Sorry I am your biggest fan but this is not good.
(Edited)