notes for relationships

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I would like to annotate relationship lines between topics and it seem my only option is to use a callout.  It would be really nice if Notes would work for relationships - but they don't.  Does anyone have any suggestions for workarounds to get a "note like" annotate attached to a relationship line?
Photo of bill burkett

bill burkett

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1616 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Well. For a relationship line a callout is used to label them.
In MM2019 there is a label visible, and when you click it it shows as a call out.

The good news is that you can select that callout and do a ctrl-T to get the notes specific for that relationship.

This works in MM15 as well, although not as smooth and elegant.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

You can also format the relationship callout with no line or fill, making it disappear with only the Notes icon showing - this then looks like it's attached directly to the relationship line.

Take care though if you move either the relationship line or the topics it joins. Callouts, whether visible or not, can sometimes have a mind of their own in terms of location.
Photo of bill burkett

bill burkett

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ha!  Thanks, guys!  Yes, I see now that Notes works with Callouts - I hadn't realized that.  While not perfect, it will work okay for my purposes.  I'll have to do an experiment for the next question: where does that note go when exporting to Word.
Photo of bill burkett

bill burkett

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
well .... I guess I still need help on this one.  I added a note to a relationship callout and even when I check all the boxes in the Word Export function I can't get that callout note to show up in the Word document.  Any suggestions on how to do this?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

That's interesting - while I've used this technique to attach notes to relationships once or twice, I've never tried exporting them. It seems that MindManager will only export notes attached to callouts which are linked directly to topics, and not when they are linked to relationship lines.

The only workaround I can see is either to use the MAP add-in (not sure if it's available for MM15) to turn the callout into a floating topic, or just post a floating topic over the relationship line in the first place and attach a note to that. However, you have to be careful as the floating topic then won't move if the relationship line is moved, and it's also easy for floating topics to be "captured" by the central topic.