Power filter on Topic and / or Notes

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
Afternoon

I want to do a power filter that will show all topics that have my search text within the topic or in the topic notes.

Is this currently possible and if so how?

Please note that I am aware that Search does this but I really want to display the specific Topics & hide the rest.

Thank you

James.
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 80 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • perplexed

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1352 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
This would be  a nice feature.

Did a quick check and this is not possible with Powerfilter since that filters on topic aspects like textcolour, priority etc.

Since you discovered that search will do the job. Have you tried to do a Send To New Map on the results found? It makes  new map displays only the specific Topics & hide the rest. And when you click any topic in that result, it will take you to the original map and the topic you selected.

So, just 1 or maybe 2 extra actions and you're done.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 80 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ary

Thanks for the confirmation that it doesn't currently exist - I thought I was just being dim and somehow not finding it. Seems like an obvious thing to make available within Power Filters. Is it possible to mark this case for inclusion to the suggestion list?

I saw the facility to Send To New Map but I don't really want to be doing this on a regular basis. Having to create new multiple new maps just to filter on an existing one seems like overkill.

Thank you

James.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 886 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
I assume that the issue here is filtering for text in the Topic Notes field as well as the Topic Text, as you can filter for the latter already. If so there is a way of filtering for both, provided you don't mind a few intermediate steps.

In the Find and Replace dialogue box type the desired text in the Find What field then, under Look in, select Topic Text and Notes.

Click on Find All and when the relevant topics are highlighted (including those in which the text is in the topic notes) click on a fill colour, icon or tag in the Map index (it's best if you have set one of these up first for this purpose). This will then be applied to the highlighted topics.

You can then use a query in the PowerFilter to show only the topics to which the effect has been added.

Photo of Jim AK

Jim AK

• 80 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex

Extra steps but it does work. I still think that MindManager ought to incorporate text search and filter across Topic Text & Notes.