Relationships in different dimensions and their representation

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hello community,
I got the latest Mindjet for Windows in order to
present on the structure of a project with many different players
involved.I have analysed connections between the players in different dimensions. So a given number of players (e.g. companies) are connected differently in different dimensions (e.g. organisational, knowledge transfer, technical cooperation, financial etc.). I would like to set the connections in all different dimensions once and then produce several conditional maps. E.g. an overall network map of knowledge transfer, or a map that shows all financial connections from and to player A and so on.
I understand that most map types in Mindjet are hierarchical , so the concept map is what I should probably go for. However, I cannot find a way to solve my problems.
I hope you can help me.
Best regards
Adrian
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
As you have indicated, MindManager is predominantly a hierarchical mapping program. While later versions incorporate a concept mapping template, the resulting maps really comprise free-floating concept topic shapes linked by specially-formatted relationship lines.

These are probably never going to give you the sort of complex multi-dimensional maps you’re after so you might need to look at alternative programs. And while I understand that you don’t intend to display all the multiple connections and dimensions in the “master”map at the same time, constructing such a map in the first place could be quite complex even with the appropriate software.

If however you want to attempt something like this in MindManager there are a few approaches you could take. One would be to try to decide if there is a “main” hierarchy of topics which you could create a conventional mind map for. You could then use different-coloured relationship lines to establish the secondary networks, combined with floating topics for those items which appear only in these networks.

You could add tags to indicate which network each topic belongs to, using either different tag groups or a single group with non-exclusive tags (I’m assuming that many topics will appear in more than one conditional map). Then all you need to do is filter on the tags to show each network, with the other topics faded out or not displayed at all. You could also experiment with conditional formatting or dashboard maps, as well as combinations of all these methods.
(Edited)
Photo of Adrian

Adrian

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you very much for your helpful comment! I will try your mentioned workaround, while also having an eye open for alternative software. You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions to that?Thank you again for your detailed answer.Best regardsAdrian
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Sorry Adrian for not replying to this at the time. I suggest you have a look at concept and ideas mapping programs - the Wikipedia entries on these are a good start. However, I'm not sure how many of these support multiple, colour-coded and/or filterable links between the same topics which is probably what you would need.