Saving a HTML file alongside the MMAP

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hello everyone,

I have a rather simple question:

Is there a way to save a HTML5 file together with the map without having to run the save and afterwards the export functions all the time?

We are having a mixed group of editors who can create maps and readers who can only open HTML. Some editors forget to export the files as HTML, therefore an automated export would be very helpful either during normal saving or a button they can use to save the file that will do both.

Is there an option available or can this be implemented via a macro?

If macro how would it look like?

Thanks and best regards,
Nate
Photo of Benjamin Nathanael Tse Maurer

Benjamin Nathanael Tse Maurer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • ok

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1893 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
I have not found an automated solution. To be sure I also checked if this could be possible with the Pulish Share option, but sadly no.
Maybe a macro could do this for you.
Or MindManager developers could include this as an option for a future release.
Similar to the Pack and Go Wizard.
And expand to that, they could combine several exports in one go.

Until then...
The simple solution ofcourse is: Do not pay the editors until they have completed their job.  ;-)

(Edited)
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hi Nate,
are you using the enterprise version?
If so, the enterprise license includes a free viewer app. Can be installed for every user. This viewer opens .mmap files as .html version automatically.
No need to export anymore.
Best,
Andreas

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,

additional software or installing add-ins will always be inconvenient if you do not know the user base who will look at the maps. Especially if any installations have to be handled via an IT department.

Everyone was happy with the HTML, but the extra export is not very lean, so a script or function implemented in the software would be best.

When I was looking at the internal help files for macros they were sadly not very helpful and only referencing WinWrap.
The online help gives me some functions that might be used for this case but the example is missing on them, so I do not know if this will call the MindManger HTML Export or just some VBA script, or even know how to implement them properly.

-->

ExportToXhtml Method
Visual Basic
Public Function ExportToXhtml( _
   ByVal pTopicId As String, _
   ByVal pImageFolderPath As String, _
   ByVal pRelativeImageFolderPath As String _
) As String

I bet there must be a simple script, I am wondering if no one else wanted to automatize this functionality. :)

Thanks and best regards,
Nate

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
An export always creates a copy from the original. I prefer using only one file. The viewer works the same way as a pdf reader and can be installed thru a automatic roll out from the IT.

If you want to write a additional macro for an export write Nick Duffill. He is the expert in this field. You can find him in the forum

• 1893 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
@Benjamin Based on your description of how the export is used I do urge you to check out the Publishing facility. You just send the link (even with password if needed) and it looks like it is the HTML5  file.

Huge benefit to your editors: No need to export and send the renewed copy of the HTML5 file to all users any more.
Just renew the publish.
(Edited)

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Publish is a great tool, but it uses the MindManager server to store the data, which is not compliant with our company policy.

• 1845 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
Maybe the mindmanager developers can allow to publish to other platforms like Box, Dropbox, goolgedrive, Onedrive and your private Sharepoint, etc.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 609 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Hello Nate. Sorry for joining this late. As far as I know, the export to HTML5 feature is not exposed in the MindManager API, so a macro or add-in is not able to invoke it directly. The API mainly supports manipulation of the document object and some UI features, and not many of the higher level features such as imports and exports are supported. The export to HTML5 feature is implemented as an Add-in, so it would be possible for Mindjet to extend the add-in interface to support some custom methods, but I am not aware that this has been done.

The ExportToXHTML() method in the API that you mention above applies applies only to Topic Notes, not to whole documents, so does not help here. Topic Notes can be rich text documents and can be accessed as XHTML or RTF.

I have not tested it, but sometimes MindManager can be automated by sending it keyboard shortcuts. This can be done with a macro or other third party applications. Menus usually work fine but it may depend on whether there are also keyboard shortcuts for critical buttons in dialogues.