Schedule View - Topic / Subtopic

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
In the Schedule View it would be really helpful if the topic with the task info, which is typically a subtopic, was able indicate some context about that subtopic.  What I see in the Schedule View is some task information about a topic, but without parent topic level context, it may get confusing when you have a lot of topics and subtopics in your map.
Photo of Tae Sondreal

Tae Sondreal

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pretty good

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1766 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
I think you found something extra here.

Could you explain with examples (images) what you exactly propose?
It would help us help you.
Photo of Stephanie Walsh

Stephanie Walsh

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I agree with the previous poster.  I could use a way to see information about the parent in the child.  For example, I have several parents that all have the same children (a review task and an approval task).  My parents are differentiated by their descriptions but I copied and pasted all of the children.  When I look at the schedule view I can't tell which parent is in the review phase because the child is just called "review" although it is under a parent that has more description.

For example:

Parent 1 Produce Document 1
Child 1 Review
Child 2 Approve

Parent 2 Product Document 2
Child 1 Review
Child 2 Approve

In the schedule view I see "review" but I can't tell if that is for Document 1 or Document 2.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1179 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes

You could tag the subtopics or use fill colours to match each group of subtopics to its parent.
Photo of Cecilia Frisell

Cecilia Frisell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I think what you rather would like is a textfield in top of the kanbantask that refers to Parent. Of course I can use colors and tags but for me, I work with recruitmentprocesses, maybe 15 at a time with like 30 recurring subtopics in these different recruitment processes I suddenly have 15 interviewtasks to plan inkanban, but no Idea which recruitment process I am suppose to intervuew in. :)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1179 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
I posted a reply to a similar question in a different context a few months ago, but to reiterate there are two ways to do this.

The first is to use Formulas, if you are prepared to assign just a branch number rather than a name. You can set up a branch number property on the parent topic and then for each sub-topic add a calculated property with the following formula: [Branch No.]=Parent.[Parent Branch] (or whatever you call the properties). The correct branch number should appear as the Branch No. property for every sub-topic, and this will be retained when the Schedule or Tag view is used.

If you want to use a branch name you will have to use the other option, SmartRules (this will work with numbers as well). You will need to create the Branch Name property first with the names of all the branches as property values, then create a rule in which Topic Belongs to Branch is the trigger, the condition is True and the appropriate branch is selected. When selecting the branch, tick Include only descendants in the dialogue box. A SmartRule will need to be created for each branch.