Scrolling in Mindmanager 2018 is very slow

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • (Edited)
Just installed the new Mindmanager 2018 and noticed, that scrolling through the maps is very laggy and the CPU usage peaks. I disabled all visual effects in the options, did not help. Changing the font also did not help and there is no antialiasing option, which could be disabled. The software is not usable in this state and I did not have problems in the previous version... Any suggestions?

Additionally I also noticed that if I change the colour scheme in the options, the software freezes and sometimes even crashes.
Photo of Guilbert

Guilbert

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1365 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
It maybe the automatic backup timing is set too short. I set it to every15 minutes and do not recognize the behaviour you see.

You set it under options etc etc
Photo of Guilbert

Guilbert

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help, even after disabling the option and a restart.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had the same problem. Changing the backup time didn't help.
Sorry, but after a long time MM-user I changed to Freeplane some weeks ago and I'm really happy.
Photo of Guilbert

Guilbert

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thx for the tip, I'm going to look into it.
Photo of Alf Christophersen

Alf Christophersen

• 52 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
To me it seems like slowness is related ro how big folder is with the My mindmap folder. The more .mmap files, the slower the program works :-(

Maybe some more threads working in background on the folder and subfolder may improve ?

Alf Christophersen

• 52 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Also full C-drive slow down accessing file access dramatically. Already at around 50% fullness. :-(
Photo of Guilbert

Guilbert

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Changing the number of .mmap files in the same folder did not change anything but the C-drive could be a thing. Although the task manager does not indicate any reading/writing process while scrolling. The only thing peaking is the CPU-usage.

Alf Christophersen

• 52 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Changed by removing on computer to another computer out of connection or just by moving to another folder?
(It scans all disks and remote disks like net drives when looking it seems like and experience quite long time if net is down, waiting for the error messages about failing access to net drive)
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
In my case, slow scrolling is mostly happening due to background images in the map. Removing the background image significantly speeds up map scrolling on my system which has a High-DPI screen (Retina)
Photo of Guilbert

Guilbert

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I also noticed that changing background settings influences the performance. Colour gives a slight improvement compared to the standard white background but the performance is still not ideal.
Photo of Mark Hillam

Mark Hillam

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too have the same scrolling issue when pushing this to a large 4K monitor. Refresh rate is like 1hz. 

Using version 2018 on a brand new PC with 16 gig of ram and 1 Terebyte SSD.  C Drive has 700GB available.  It has plenty of Ram, and hard drive space.  The performance is pretty much rendering this useless.

Very interested in recommendations.  Would prefer to figure this one out as I have been using Mindjet for 17 years, but can't use this now in it's current state.

Some details of the map I created that is having problems
  • I don't have any images in the mind map. 
  • I don't have a background.
  • The mind map is medium in size (that is somewhat relative).  It is big enough to where scrolling is necessary but certinally no where near the size of maps I have created in previous versions.  
  • No special fonts are being used.  
  • Everything is default.  
  • The mind map was created in the version of 2018, so it isn't an issue of opening a map created in a previous version such that we would be trying to troubleshoot compatibility.  
  • I do have about 10 url links.  
  • No icons or graphics other than those auto generated for the url link.
(Edited)
Photo of dennisth19

dennisth19

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same here
Photo of Beat Nideröst

Beat Nideröst

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also experience the slow scrolling in Mindmanager 2018.

In my case, I also just updated my Windows 10 x64 bit edition to the Fall Creators Update (OS-build 16299.125, see https://support.microsoft.com/help/4054517). And the slowness in my case seems to be actually related to the Windows update!

Especially, I traced the slowness to within the latest gdiplus.dll library from Microsoft. This library seems to be slow because of slowness within the Microsoft Windows Desktop Manager (dwm.exe) which is loaded when I log on to my Windows.
Also, I noticed that when I have just logged in onto my Windows desktop, scrolling is fast. After a while, however - e.g. when I put my laptop to sleep, wake it up later on or when I attach another display - things slow down a lot. Restarting Mindmanager doesn't help.

Logging out of Windows and logging in again restarts dwm.exe and then things are fast again. A complete restart of windows is not necessary in my case.

I'm curious if other people see the same performance improvement after logging off and on again ().

Alf Christophersen

• 52 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Got today a report that Microsoft office (at least 2012) make access to the program Endnote.exe v. 8 very slow at some point of size of database. Haven't tested yet reinstalling (that was said by support to fix the problem, but have a feeling the bug is one part making both Explorer and my MindManager slow and erratic (crash if exporting to Word from a node Export to Word without Word running and crash map if trying to add more than two links to a webpage to a single node (try to open right-click menu and crash when displaying before any possibilty to add work)

Maybe this also relates to your navigation problems??
Photo of dennisth19

dennisth19

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Since my last windows update the performance is much better. Have a try
Photo of Anders

Anders

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I switched off Enable animated scrolling - that made a huge difference./Anders
Photo of Beat Nideröst

Beat Nideröst