Show summary of Kanban objects in main topic

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I watched the movie by Mindjet about news in 2019. In the video an example is described handling software development Kanban where the head Topic has a summary of the different tags (design, backlog .....). I have struggled for hours trying to find out how that is done. I have focused on the properties and formula, but the formula seems not to be able to count the number of topics with a certain tag.
Please help,
Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1038 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes

It would help if you could share the link of the video you watched.

In the meantime I have been able to do this by using a combination of topic properties, smart rules and formulas. Basically you set up a numeric topic property for every Kanban tag you have, applying the complete set to every task topic. Then create a set of smart rules that adds the number 1 to the appropriate task property that reflects the topic's current status, so for example if the tag is "Doing", the number 1 is added to the "Kanban Doing" topic property.

Then in the central topic, write a formula like the following example for each of these Kanban topic properties, changing the property names as appropriate:

[Total Doing]=SUM(Descendants[Kanban Doing])

A calculated property totalling the number of topics with the relevant Kanban tag should now appear in the central topic.

I've added some screenshots below to demonstrate the process. There may be a simpler way to do this, but until I see the video this is the only one I can think of.

Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the response and a possible solution. The video link is: "Watch this Webinar ". Unfortanatly you can only see the result in the main topic but it is not explained how it is done. 
The thing is that it would be great to be able to use "properties" of the already existing tag info where you can see the number of object with the tag (as the To Do, Doing, done). I have a pretty complex mindmap where my team checks the map once a week and then it is so nice to have in the main topic the actual number of tasks in the Kanban presentet with totals.
Again, thanks, I think this might be the only way to solve it and also how it is done behind the scenes in the video.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1038 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
Yes, having looked at the video, I see what you mean. I'm intrigued - unless there is an undocumented feature which allows you to sum or count tags/icons directly, I can't see how this can be done without writing the Kanban tags into topic properties using smart rules.

It might be worth trying to contact Mindjet/Corel or even the presenter directly for more information.
(Edited)
Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks! However I have tested your solution and I find it usable even if there is some configuration that needs to be done.  Maybe product development are watching this community and pick questions like this up...??
All the best and thanks again.
Photo of thebimbo

thebimbo

• 55 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yep, this is definitely an area than could be improved on - provide Kanban grouping features e.g. to total duration in a column, sum, count, etc. Would only need a preference as to what should be grouped and how. And Corel whilst you're at it please add a Resource view (something Mindgenius has had for years)...