Significant slowdown when scrolling, adding new nodes

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
MM10 for Mac (10.6.113) on 2016 MacBook Pro w/2GB RadeonPro GPU.

Simple, text-only map, no formatting, created from default template, with about 116 topics spread across 2-4 levels, 358 words.
  • full screen scrolling is significantly delayed. Scrolling takes about 1 second to begin and is very jerky.
  • Adding or deleting a node (triggered by <CR> or <DEL> keystrokes) take about .5 seconds to echo to the screen
  • i.e. 5 consecutive <CR> keystrokes take about 2.5 seconds to echo to screen
  • no significant spikes in CPU, no other applications active, only 5GB memory out of 16GB used, no other noticeable I/O activity (disk, network)
  • editing the same map, on the same system, in a Windows 10 virtual machine, using MM17 (17.2.208), shows no lag when scrolling or editing. 

Any advice on why native OS X version is so slow? Any troubleshooting or logging options I should enable to aid diagnosis?

Photo of Daniel Cobb

Daniel Cobb

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Was MindManager always so slow on your Mac? Are you using a customised map style for your maps, could you try to revert to the default style?
Photo of Daniel Cobb

Daniel Cobb

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
default template and style. 

MM seems to slow down once map grows beyond 1 screen - perhaps related to scrolling?
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
OK. Which version of Mac OS are you using?
Photo of Daniel Cobb

Daniel Cobb

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Mathieu, thanks for following up.

Sierra 10.12.6.

Also tried High Sierra Beta - same results.
Photo of Daniel Cobb

Daniel Cobb

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still no change. multi-second lag for scrolling or screen resizing makes MM unusable. Here's an interesting performance: running MMWIN in a virtual machine on the same Mac is significantly faster for scrolling, resizing, etc. I've reported this to customer support, but no response since the initial incident was filed (I was asked for a map that demonstrated the problem).