Simple link to email.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Currently an email brought over from outlook and inserted into MM has its topic locked for editing. I want to have a simple drag and drop that gives me a link to the email in outlook. I want to style the topic and its text however I want and simply have a mail icon I can click to open up the outlook item. This would be especially useful when Im tracking tasks with a kanban board. Right now it brings in the subject line of the email which may not correspond to the specific task I want done and I cant change it. So its useless organizing my task list. 
Photo of Joshua Turley

Joshua Turley

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Marigrace McKay

Marigrace McKay

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
new user. how many days would you typically have to wait to get mm to reply to your request here. mm should ultimately be an organizer. will be curious.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
This is predominantly a community forum for users to help each other rather than a MindManager help desk - but as a user I'll attempt to provide an answer.

I've been experimenting with this intermittently over the last few days but unfortunately I don't think there is a way to achieve this easily which will retain a link back to the original email.

Each Outlook item synchronised with MM has a number of limitations which I suspect are mainly imposed at the Outlook end, and emails are the most restricted of all. For example, (and unlike an Outlook task) it's very difficult within Outlook to change the title of a received email (of course you can edit the title if you are forwarding an email or replying to it, but that doesn't affect the original email).

This article outlines some of the issues involved (edit: in trying to establish links to Outlook items from outside Outlook): http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outlook-missing-outlook-protocol/ Apparently there is a fix involving editing the Windows registry but I haven't been game to try it.

This probably explains why it isn't possible to edit the title of the topic created when an email is dragged into a map. I agree however that it would be great to have the ability to have the email simply added to a topic as a link in the same way that a web page can be added, but this doesn't seem possible either, and I'm less clear if this is a problem at the Outlook or the MM end.

It is possible however to add a link to a saved version of the email. First, save the email to a folder outside Outlook in .msg format. Then return to MM, go to the relevant topic, click on add link, then when the dialogue box opens navigate to the saved msg file. Once the link is set up the .msg file will open as if it is the original.

The major limitation with this approach of course is that this isn't actually the original as the link is to a copy of the email, rather than the email itself. The secondary problem resulting from this is that if you attempt to to reply to the linked email Outlook will open to set up the reply but the return address will be incorrect; the right one will have to be added manually.
(Edited)